Menu

frustrated over son's Impaird Glucose Tolerance

Ok

I am really getting frustrated.

How do you know your beta cells are being destroyed? Is there a way of knowing that?

We got his results yesterday. His A1c is 5.3. If my memory is correct it is going up a bit. We will do another one this summer.

I keep reading all over the internet (including Dr. Bernstein's website) that diagnoses of diabetes do not happen until your beta cells are lost. So what can I do to prevent my son from loosing his beta cells?

He is on a low carb diet. It is slow going. We are getting there. So we are counting his carbs. I am waiting on the Dr. Eades Low carb cookbook.

Thanks!

Holly

My youngest dd is type 1 diabetic and I'm type 2. What type of doctor is treating your son? From our experience in diabetic language, an A1c of 5.3 is nothing, meaning no suspicions of diabetes. Have you asked your doctor your questions about beta cells? To date, I have not heard of any way to stop type 1 diabetes from happening. That's about all I can share from the little you posted. Feel free to share more.