Menu

I'm struggling with motivation to learn here. I need some help.

I can really relate to the post about distractions but I am really struggling with the dc's right now. Here is the issue:

My four don't really drag through their work, rather they take shortcuts. For instance, my two older ds's are doing Apologia Science. I schedule this for about 1 hour daily but they are miraculously through in 15 minutes. They are not watching the Multimedia CD, nor are they doing the experiments in that time. On one hand, I want them to work independently but I am really struggling with motivating them to really learn - not just do.

They chatter all day, constantly unfocused. Finally, yep I'll admit it, I lose my cool with the constant noise and interruptions. I am all about legitimate questions and "noisy learning" but this is just needless. It makes it hard for us to focus and I am seeing it in their work.

We have a learning room, which is a blessing and a curse. It seems our togetherness is actually becoming detrimental to our concentration. Does anyone else struggle with this and what have you done that helps?

Guest GodFirstKids2

I have four h/s, I faced the same issue, tough as it may... I had to stay with them and focus on the kids needs. I found that they didn't know what I thought they did and got stuck often on problems they didn't want to bother me with therefore created the chatting unfoced work, (very frustrating). Here's what I worked I dropped what I was trying to do while they worked and coached them through everything-after a while they began to work more independently---Amazing!!

The thing is to focus on them learning to be independent by teaching the value of it.--It may take 3 months to start seeing results. --- It's working for me---praise the Lord!

I can really relate to the post about distractions but I am really struggling with the dc's right now. Here is the issue:

My four don't really drag through their work, rather they take shortcuts. For instance, my two older ds's are doing Apologia Science. I schedule this for about 1 hour daily but they are miraculously through in 15 minutes. They are not watching the Multimedia CD, nor are they doing the experiments in that time. On one hand, I want them to work independently but I am really struggling with motivating them to really learn - not just do.

They chatter all day, constantly unfocused. Finally, yep I'll admit it, I lose my cool with the constant noise and interruptions. I am all about legitimate questions and "noisy learning" but this is just needless. It makes it hard for us to focus and I am seeing it in their work.

We have a learning room, which is a blessing and a curse. It seems our togetherness is actually becoming detrimental to our concentration. Does anyone else struggle with this and what have you done that helps?

Kristi:grouphug:

I understand your frustration.

Have you thought about asking them what they need to be motivated? Maybe changing a few things in your routine, like the curriculum or the place where they work? Asking them for their opinion might just help. (you can always veto their suggestions or reach a compromise)

For us, being in the same room sometimes does not work. We don't have a separate school room so ds10 works in the kitchen or his bedroom and ds6 works in the living room or kitchen.

We do science and devotions together and I do find myself some days having to discipline goofing off during these subjects. I do find that if it is interesting to them, they pay attention. If it is boring, they fool around with each other.

I get very frustrated in the middle of a lesson when they just walk away ( to the bathroom or for a drink) each their own direction - wake up call for me - the lesson is boring.

Kristi:grouphug:

I understand your frustration.

Have you thought about asking them what they need to be motivated? Maybe changing a few things in your routine, like the curriculum or the place where they work? Asking them for their opinion might just help. (you can always veto their suggestions or reach a compromise)

For us, being in the same room sometimes does not work. We don't have a separate school room so ds10 works in the kitchen or his bedroom and ds6 works in the living room or kitchen.

We do science and devotions together and I do find myself some days having to discipline goofing off during these subjects. I do find that if it is interesting to them, they pay attention. If it is boring, they fool around with each other.

I get very frustrated in the middle of a lesson when they just walk away ( to the bathroom or for a drink) each their own direction - wake up call for me - the lesson is boring.

I am thinking we might not be able to work at our individual desks in the same room. It just seems too distracting. With my older two, I think they are at an age and aptitude to work independently on most things, they have just gotten into some really bad habits. I guess I should speak with them and maybe have assigned places, from their suggestions of course, of where they do most of their work in order to have some quiet concentration.

I find that when the learning gets tough, the chatter begins. I think they are at a point where they must "actively" learn and they just are struggling with it. If it isn't easy, they start goofing off. Unfortunately, all learning just isn't a bowl of cherries.

Thanks for your suggestions and guess we need some alone time as well as group time.