Menu

Have y'all heard about the post office wanting to cut a mail delivery day.

Hmmmm.....I'm all for cutting things as we all try to recover from the economic mess.

I do wonder though...how will this affect us? For people who still snail mail their bills, especially? With no mail on another day of the week (or, possibly two days on a holiday week), how many peoples' bills will arrive late causing late fees galore?

Say someone gets paid on the last day of the month and their bill is due on the 5th. So, they mail their bill on the first and it doesn't get to it's destination until the 7th, 8th, 9th or later? Now, they're paying a $25 late fee on their stupid credit card! I've had my bill get delayed in the mail by one stinkin' day, get charged the fee and have the cc company refuse to reverse it.

Are people supposed to write a check (knowing it's not technically "good" yet) earlier just to get the thing in the mail thus actually committing a crime?

Mail takes forever to certain regions as it is. With one (or two) less days, it will take that much longer. I live in So. CA and my mom lives just north of the Oregon border on the Washington Coast. It already takes 6 days for something to get from me to her.

Just thinking out loud as I process the news.:)

I think it will balance out quality as well. For instance, if they were stuck cutting man-power, to keep the old schedule, you have less people doing more. Instead, you have the same people, working less hours. I would imagine an added incentive, the idea of moving up in the ranks, would seem more appealing as a day's wages are dropped from their checks. IOW, I think it would get them moving a little faster (on a person to person level).

All the same, if you mail your bills out with a week or two to deliver, then it should still get there on time.