Menu

2 medical questions...

1. Have you ever had any kind of testing to determine your genetic predisposition to stroke, blood clots, etc? It is a Comprehensive Thrombosis Panel...some of the tests are MTHFR, Lupus anticoagulant, Factor V, Factor II, etc.

2. If you have had the testing, did you test positive for anything of these mutations? Which ones? What type of doctor do you see? Does he/she recommend any kind of therapy?

My story: I had the panel done because I have a history of stroke in my family (great-grandpa at 29, grandma - his daughter at 69) and was considering BCPs. My full test panel came back yesterday and I have 2 copies of the same mutation of MTHFR and I also have a single mutation of G20210 Factor II. I have NO idea what this means because my doctor can't really explain it to me. He is sending me to a hematologist for further discussion on it and on what, if anything, I should be doing. Thus far, I am healthy (physically - LOL), I do NOT smoke, and have had no issues with blood clots or anything of the sort. I have two children, never miscarried, never had a stillbirth, never a problem getting pregnant at all (a LOT of the info I am finding is from women who have the tests for reproductive issues...so that totally throws me!) I took BCPs when I was 21-23 and had no issues at all. Took a double dose of estrogen when I was 23 and vomited for 2 days. It was awful, but the doc at the time said it was just too much for my body.

So...now I have no answers on the tests (have an appt with a hematologist on the 4th of Feb), and now I am upset because I can't take BCPs. I have abnormal bleeding that has lasted on and off for a year. Tests have been done to determine any serious causes, and the drs have come to the conclusion that I am just...off. My last hope was BCPs and I had put it off because I don't like to put extra chemicals and hormones in my body. Oh well...sorry, I am just a little down and looking for some BTDT folks. If you got this far, thanks for reading.

anyone? :(

Hi, Rebecca,

My father just had an emergency in December with respect to a clot that traveled to his lungs. While he was in the hospital he had extensive testing to find out why he had developed the clot (at 74, he had no history of anything that might have led to its formation). Ultimately it was decided to be hereditary in nature and he was told to pass the info along to his children so that we could get tested.

I haven't been tested yet, but I was advised by my doctor not to take BCP's. An 39 yr old acquaintance of mine recently had a mini-stroke as a result of BCP's (her mother had died under similar circumstances and yet nobody had warned this woman not to take them). She was driving at the time with her child in the car and had she not had the foresight to pull over when she got dizzy, things might have had a much different outcome. She has since been advised not to take hormones under any circumstances. This is just my opinion, but with respect to your situation, I would err on the side of caution and steer clear of BCP's.

Blessings,

Kris