Menu

Is anybody familiar with George Washington: Spymaster

Lakeside

I just asked dd (8) what her opinion was - she read it just before Christmastime. She said, "It was good, but not as good as George Washington's World." Which, seeing as that's a totally different type of book ;), I asked her if it was interesting and relatively fun to read. She allowed that it had been interesting.

She reads on a 5th or 6th grade reading level, and it took her about an hour to an hour and a half to read, altogether (spread out over a few days).

George Washington's World... I think the most common description is "horizontal history." It's a summary of what was going on all over the world throughout George Washington's life, to sort of put it in context. I was a little concerned that it was above her reading/comprehension level, but she's thoroughly enjoyed it. Foster wrote several similar books - we've only used this one and the one for Captain John Smith, but I anticipate getting the Lincoln one for next year.

Oh, and - other George Washington books - *I* really liked George vs. George, which is a National Geographic book IIRC, as well as Cheryl Harness' biography of George Washington.

George Washington's World... I think the most common description is "horizontal history." It's a summary of what was going on all over the world throughout George Washington's life, to sort of put it in context. I was a little concerned that it was above her reading/comprehension level, but she's thoroughly enjoyed it. Foster wrote several similar books - we've only used this one and the one for Captain John Smith, but I anticipate getting the Lincoln one for next year.

Oh, and - other George Washington books - *I* really liked George vs. George, which is a National Geographic book IIRC, as well as Cheryl Harness' biography of George Washington.

Thanks! I'll look into George Washington's World. Although, if it isn't really about G.W. ds may not be interested. We read Johnny Tremain last year and he was incredibly upset when the book was over. I was a bit surprised because he seemed to enjoy it. Apparently, he had been waiting for the part when G.W. was going to be in it. :lol:

I really liked George vs. George, too. We've checked it out from the library, but it may be worth purchasing as a reminder that there is always more than one side to the story!

My ds listened to it as a book on CD and really loved it. I think he actually had it out twice from the library and listened to the whole thing both times. He must have been 8 or so when he had it out the first time. I think he was 9 the second time.

Jean

My ds listened to it as a book on CD and really loved it. I think he actually had it out twice from the library and listened to the whole thing both times. He must have been 8 or so when he had it out the first time. I think he was 9 the second time.

Jean

Thanks, Jean. My son will be happy tomorrow! I checked it out from the library the other day and glanced through it, but I thought I'd get some advice from the Hive before handing it over!