Menu

FLashcard program recommendation

C_l_e_0..Q_c

I discovered a nice little computer-based flashcard program. You can enter your own flashcards, and it will deal with the repetitions, asking for failed cards at a higher rate than those which are a success.

http://ichi2.net/anki/

And it's free, doesn't need to be online. And if you're willing, it can be ported to the Nintendo DS, although I haven't done it yet.

Two thumbs up for this little gem!

I use something similar called Mnemosyne. My son and I both have decks for Latin and Spanish. I'm working toward sharing my decks for Latin for Children, Spanish for Children, Henle, and Madrigal Spanish.

Each morning I fire up Mnemosyne and load a deck. It shows me a card and I translate it. I give a grade of one through five based on how easy it was for me. Then it shows the next card. If I give the card a low score, it will show the card more frequently in the future. If I give the card a high score, it will show it less and less frequently.

As Dee said, each card will get scored based on how well you did with it. Then the cards are presented based on an algorithm that maximises learning.

Of course, when you start the software, you have to start creating your cards. When you create a card, you can do it as a Forward, a Reverse, or a Forward+Reverse card. The software will ask the card either way, when it's a forward-reverse, that's very handy for languages, not so handy for other subjects.