Menu

Cycle One, Classical Conversations, To match up with SOTW?

• 2 weeks later...

I did this 2 years ago. Leigh's CC is at a much faster pace than SOTW. You won't be able to exactly match up the weekly TL cards or history sentences with the chapters in SOTW. I fought with it for a while and then just gave up and accepted that we'd be out of sync with them. It didn't really matter. My ds LOVES LOVES history and we were able to plod thru the chapters and talk about where they fit with the history sentences and cards. Doing them together made it a richer experience.

• 2 months later...

I'm really glad you posted this. The fact the CC history is what it is (we LOVE the sentences and songs) is practically what keeps us with CC, however, I very much want to do SOTW with DD and DS next year and don't want to juggle too much info.

I struggle with CC because, while I like their approach, I really like the curricula that I have chosen for my son. We do Apologia science, SOTW (though not this year, cycle 3), and things don't really match up with CC. It's the support of the CC community and the "pegs" that keep me there. Any other opinions...?

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Cycle 3 is the hardest, as it's so much coverage. I actually think that CC could/should maybe be broken into 4 cycles, as it would be able to more closely match something like...say WTM cycles...

That being said, I'm doing The Latin Centered Curriculum, with modifications for my daughter, as we're "catching up" from her being in other schooling experiences. SO, we're starting Men of Rome now, and hopefully continuing Men of Greece....after... (and then continuing with the series)

We're, of course, listening to the cd of SOTW. My daughter tends to memorize the cds, she listens to them so much! We're also getting some of the other great Weiss cds. He's great!

As for more Ancient History, I want to get SWB's one for olders...., too! I'll be getting it sometime in the summer.

I think with CC the secret is to use it like a sauce...liberally enjoy it... but don't get upset if it's too much trouble to line it up. Consider it an enrichment class.

There are some line ups with SOTW....but really...next year...I'm just doing school on the other days without trying to match it up. I think what I'm doing is....plugging the sentences onto the timeline, and then when we get there in our reading, it'll be like...."See, we learned about that last month" or whatever...

Carrie:-)