Menu

Omnibus without the progymnasmata?

You can definitely do Omnibus without the progymnasmata. In fact, that's how we did it; instead, I had my dd's do one of the Summa essays for each book. I then submitted those essays to Cindy Marsch of Writing Assessment Services for an evaluation. I did have my girls go through several sessions of Cindy Marsch's version of the progymnasmata before tackling some of the Summa essays. I did that not because it was necessary in order to do the Summa essays, however. I wanted them to experience the progym. more fully than I was able to provide at home. Then, while we were doing Omnibus, I signed them up for one of Cindy's evaluation packages. It worked out very well for us, and I have tremendous respect for Cindy Marsch---not only her own writing ability, but her ability to tutor and coax out the best in my children.

For a variety of reasons, I did not care for the way Omnibus presented the progymnasmata. It's a beautiful book and a great program, but I felt that the progym. were handled in a way which I considered to be foreign to the logical and incremental nature of the progymnasmata. However, I'm certain that others who had more preparation in the progymnasmata than we did have been able to do the progym. in Omnibus just fine. I think it depends upon the parent's confidence level, the child's writing ability, and their previous preparation in doing the progymnasmata.

Thank you, both! Very helpful.

Yes, definitely. We have both been at this homeschool thing long enough to know that anything can be tweaked....and most programs use different words to describe the same types of assignments. Omnibus assumes your student has been through IEW...as that is the program Veritas press uses. The progym is basically essays using "structure" and "style" with lots of imitation. You may be quite surprised at how terminology crosses lines...I just think the terminology of the "Progymnasmata" is "HOT" in classical circles and Imitations is a more modern version. You might really like some of the assignments and decide to use them in an IEW way.

Have fun! Omnibus is a great program. I am enjoying it too.

~~Faithe

Yes, definitely. We have both been at this homeschool thing long enough to know that anything can be tweaked....and most programs use different words to describe the same types of assignments. Omnibus assumes your student has been through IEW...as that is the program Veritas press uses. The progym is basically essays using "structure" and "style" with lots of imitation. You may be quite surprised at how terminology crosses lines...I just think the terminology of the "Progymnasmata" is "HOT" in classical circles and Imitations is a more modern version. You might really like some of the assignments and decide to use them in an IEW way.

Have fun! Omnibus is a great program. I am enjoying it too.

~~Faithe

Very encouraging! Thank you.

Will you be using their program called Classical Rhetoric Through Structure and Style? That covers it. Otherwise, you could either teach them how to do the particular assignment or just skip it, there are plenty of writing opportunities in Omnibus.

My dd 18 is going through this this year. It is excellent!