Menu

Link to RR advanced code workbooks......

Claire

After seeing the posts below, I went to the Readamerica site. They have changed things and renamed things (I hate that!) since I used their materials. However, by looking at the samples, it's pretty clear that they have broken the old "Parent Support Book for Older Students" into two workbooks. Here's the one you would start with:

Sound to Symbol to Meaning Advanced Code Workbook One. Looks like Workbook Two follows with the less-frequently-used advanced code symbols.

It is ok I found it. I am just glad to know that I was looking at the right things. Ds was telling his dad about the games we played when he was going to bed tonight. He also had to show off how nicely he writes on notebook paper. Ok so that part is relative but it was really good for him. Hopefully by the end of the week he will still be enjoying it this much.

Hi Claire,

I'm new here, but am trained in Phono-Graphix and have used it for about ten years now. However, I too was frustrated by their materials and, over time, modified them enough for use with clients that I eventually decided to write my own advanced code workbook. I wasn't aware that they had changed their workbook either, but it looks like they split the old one into three parts, vowel sound spellings, consonant sound spellings and multisyllable words.

I recently put my workbook on the print-on-demand website lulu.com where anyone can purchase it. I know you can't recommend something you've never seen before, but I think you'd find that it's much better organized and covers more ground.

In addition, over the years I took the chunking method for decoding multisyllable words and modified it in a manner that I discuss on my website at OnTrack Reading and incorporated it in the workbook as well.

Here's a link to the workbook: OnTrack Reading Advanced Code Workbook. It's necessary to either download the instructions or you can find a printed version of them. Both are on lulu.com. The instructions are comprehensive and describe how I handle each lesson with my clients. Since I developed it, I routinely get code knowledge scores in the 90% range with significant knowledge of the overlap options as well.

That said, the real payoff is in the Multisyllable section. Kids really take to the method described in the workbook. By the way, the Multisyllable section is posted on my website along with the word lists in PDF form. Look for The Phonics Piece on the sidebar and then go down to Multisyllable Decoding-1.

Rod Everson

PS: First post--I hope all the links work.

I think you're right about the workbooks. I see the third one would be multi-syllable. Parent would want to get that one at the same time as volume 2 and work on both of those workbooks simultaneously.

Your posts on the ReadNOW list have always been very informative and I have heard very good things about your workbook, so I would not hesitate to recommend your materials as well. Do you think that someone untrained in PG would be able to use them without a problem? The fundamentals of the approach are pretty simple once you understand them, but I worry about parents maybe missing something major just because they have to pick it all up on their own.

I honestly don't know the answer to your question. What I am reasonably sure of is that they'll do as well with mine as they would with the alternative because of the instructions. They're very detailed. I really wrote them in a way that someone could work in private practice and use the workbook almost exactly the way I do. I used to send out a few workbooks myself and wrote the instructions for that purpose. It just got to be too much hassle and I stopped, but the lulu.com site is really great. (Just don't get impatient and click the "Place Order" button again and again, as you'll end up placing an order each time, they warn, and because they send each order right to the printer, there's no returns or cancellations.) I want to be sure people are aware of that fact.

I fully intend to put a PDF of the entire instructions on my website where they can be downloaded for free, but for some reason I'm having trouble lately uploading files to the site. So, what I've suggested to a few people is that they purchase just the Download version of the instructions and see what they think. There's a small fee on lulu.com though.

By the way, I just read the prohibition against advertising and I apologize if I overstepped in posting about my workbook. It just seemed particularly relevant to the topic.

Rod

Actually, I have an older version of Rod's workbook somewhere in my bookcase. (Sorry, I haven't taken a close look at my reading materials since we moved -- 3 years ago!) I remember, though, that it was *excellent*.

Also, I think I made a mistake in my post to you when I mentioned the phoneme manipulation drills in a prior post. They were in Rod's workbook, not the ABCD materials! I remember how impressed I was with them at the time, and I think they would work very well with your son.

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to leave a lot of the answers about RR up to Rod if he's going to be posting here regularly, as he is an active tutor with lots of experience and a website, whereas I haven't been an active tutor for several years now. My brain gets fuzzy on the details because I haven't been using it for quite awhile.

Hi Claire,

I will certainly try to answer any questions that I can, particularly about the basic code since I still use that almost exactly the way it's laid out in Reading Reflex.

As for the Oral Auditory Processing exercises, they're in the workbook as you mentioned, but they are also available free on my website. Go to OnTrack Reading and find The Auditory Piece on the Home Page listing of chapters, or on the sidebar (about halfway down.) The word list I use is there in the form of a PDF that can be downloaded from the page in that section titled Oral Auditory Processing and the instructions are on the site.

I have done these exercises (following the ones with tiles in Reading Reflex) with every child who cannot successfully delete phonemes (Say "trap" without the /t/..."rap"; say "trap" without the /r/...."tap") and with one exception, they have all learned the skill. It's a good exercise to assign as homework also.

Some parents reading this might be wondering why this skill is important. It is because English has overlap options where one letter or digraph has several possible pronunciations (cat, table, want...teach, thread, great) and kids need to develop a facility for easily switching from one option to the other as they try to decode unfamiliar words. Practicing deleting a phoneme helps to develop the necessary skill required to test the overlap options.

One significant feature of my workbook is the way the overlap options are made very explicit, provided the instructions are followed in that regard. In fact, the layout of both the vowel sound and consonant sound mappings was determined mainly by the need to make the various overlap options as clear as possible to the child.

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was just doing it because the book said to do it. My question now is do I use your workbook with the RR or is it stand alone for advanced code. Also do you know of any reading centers in the Duluth MN if I need help figuring out what to do?

Melissa

Rod,

My question now is do I use your workbook with the RR or is it stand alone for advanced code. Also do you know of any reading centers in the Duluth MN if I need help figuring out what to do?

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

My Advanced Code Workbook is intended to be used after your child has learned the Basic Code (1 letter = 1 sound) so if you've accomplished that you could just switch to the workbook. It's got a multisyllable curriculum that is a bit more detailed than the one in Reading Reflex, but I've found that kids really respond well to it.

As for reading centers in Duluth, I can't help you there, but would be willing to answer any questions if you ask them either by email or in here.

Rod