Menu

S/L Eval. next Monday!!! (finally!)

MicheleB

My 9yo ds is finally getting his speech/language eval. next Monday. I spoke with the therapist (she's also my 7yo ds's ST) and asked her what she would test for. I told her I had concerns about his expressive language (from the info I've been given here).

She said she will test for expressive language, receptive language and speech articulation. Is there anything else I should ask for? I can call and speak with her again if there is.

I told her ds was delayed and could not read past a kindergarten level, so she is combining tests for that reading level and tests for his age level.

Please let me know if you think there's anything else I should have covered in this evaluation. Thanks. :)

I would ask if she's planning on administering the LAC (Lindamood-Bell test of Auditory Comprehension, I think) and the CTOPP (Comprehensive Test of something-or-other). I'm not sure if the CTOPP can be given to a non-reader, but the LAC would give you a lot of information about his phonemic awareness skills. Your therapist may also have other tests that she wants to give for these areas, but I would at least ask about how she will test phonemic awareness.

I would ask if she's planning on administering the LAC (Lindamood-Bell test of Auditory Comprehension, I think) and the CTOPP (Comprehensive Test of something-or-other). I'm not sure if the CTOPP can be given to a non-reader, but the LAC would give you a lot of information about his phonemic awareness skills. Your therapist may also have other tests that she wants to give for these areas, but I would at least ask about how she will test phonemic awareness.

Thanks Claire. I will make sure I ask her. She wanted to know what *I* was most concerned about and I told her I was wondering if he has an expressive language delay/disorder. I wasn't sure exactly what she can test for, so I'm glad I asked here.

Do you happen to know the names of the commonly given tests for receptive lang. and expressive lang? Just in case she starts throwing out names of tests she wants to use, I'd have an idea what those names were.

Thanks Claire. I will make sure I ask her. She wanted to know what *I* was most concerned about and I told her I was wondering if he has an expressive language delay/disorder. I wasn't sure exactly what she can test for, so I'm glad I asked here.

Do you happen to know the names of the commonly given tests for receptive lang. and expressive lang? Just in case she starts throwing out names of tests she wants to use, I'd have an idea what those names were.

I'm not sure how a speech pathologist evaluates receptive and expressive language. I know our SP did evaluate these areas in our eval, but my dd did not have problems in these areas so I did not look into them.

My dd's eval was 9 years ago, so there may have been changes in tests since then. However, I pulled out her written report and the following are the tests she was given:

Gray Oral Reading Test-3 (GORT-3) / Scores provided in the areas of rate, accuracy, passage, comprehension

Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals-3 (CELF-3) / Scores provided in the areas of concept & directions, word classes, semantic relationships, along with a receptive language score.

SCAN / Score provided for filtered words and auditory figure ground. (This is a screening test for APD, but it is known to have a fairly high rate of false negatives, meaning it says there isn't a problem when there is.)

CTOPP (Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing) / Score provided for elision only. However, I know there are multiple subtests for the CTOPP and that these multiple subtests come in two forms -- real words, and nonsense words. I know that my dd scored *much* lower on the nonsense word versions of the subtests, and this showed that her decoding skills were poor.

Lindamood Bell Auditory Conceptualization Test (LAC) / One score provided. This is the test of phonemic awareness subskills. My dd was 8yo when she was evaluated, and this score showed that her phonemic awareness skills were at Kindergarten level.

In your case, the GORT and CTOPP may not be appropriate since your son is not reading yet. However, you will probably want the LAC, SCAN, and CELF.