Menu

We are having lots of trouble w/ Brainware Safari...

Today is our first day using it and we stink! Of course, we're on level 1, but there is not enough time for her to figure it out. She simply cannot figure out an answer in a few seconds. It's very discouraging and right now she hates it and feels even more stupid. I put in a call to the company. I hope they can help.

Did no one else have problems when they started? Heck, we're just trying to learn the rules to each game. I can't figure some of them out.

So far very disappointed. She really needs something like this too.

Lisa

The company is really helpful.

The rules are written out for the level you are playing and appear in the box at the bottom when you click into a task.

You can put it on practice mode, rather than the game mode for a while until she gets the hang of it. (This is a little toggle key toward the top of the screen . ) You have to choose it before you start) I"m pretty sure it's on the same page as the directions to the game.

How old is she?

It's supposed to be challenging. Being able to complete anything on level one the first go is super! It's like athletics. Let's say you were in "ok" shape and joined a volleyball team and had never played before. It might take several practice times before one serve went over. You might meanwhile have some success returning a ball hit over the net--though not every time. You might be huffing and puffing from running laps before practice, etc. But as you practiced diligently, you'd improve. Soon you would return most volleys, and some of your serves would go over.

If you moved up to an intermediate league next, you'd probably again have to work for successes, and you'd make more errors than you were making back in the beginners' league. Same when you moved up again to a better league.

One thing that helps is paying attention to the count at the upper right of the screen. It records successes and errors. Cheer for that first success. Record in the journal how many successes there were before the game timed out (it does that after 3 errors). Next time, she might not make a new level, but she might see the number of successes she got increase. This is a huge help in life skills. It's the people who keep plugging away that eventually win the game of life. In fact, kids who had obstacles to overcome as children are stronger adults than kids for whom everything came easy. That true data bit keeps ds with all the dys-es confidence up. He sees those dys-es as opportunities to be an overcomer. He's a resistant kid, on the one hand, on the other, he does persevere in the long run. I think his belief that he will be an overcomer and a stronger adult is what keeps his self-esteem and confidence intact.

thank you for this Laurie!

I will share it w/ my dd. She is also resistant and tends to want to be perfect on the first try. This is going to be great for her to see that w/ effort and persistance she can achieve what she thought she couldn't. Though she is difficult and perfectionistic to the point of not wanting to try some things, I think if she can learn to try and see the good results it will help her in her adult life. She can be EXTREMELY diligent in things important to HER. I'm sure you kwim! :D

Thanks again! We're going to try 30 min/5days/wk to start.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
Today is our first day using it and we stink! Of course, we're on level 1, but there is not enough time for her to figure it out.

We had that too at first. for many of the games, esp those involving the 'metronome' component, I had to go in and figure it out using the 'practice' mode. Over time it's improved *a lot*.

K