Menu

Science by the Grade, Steck-Vaughn

Jan Lyn

Just wondering if any of you use or have seen this book. I am in need of some thing easy for science, grades 3 and 7....unfortunately a book that my children can basically read and that has comprehension questions, but limited experiments as I am struggling a bit with chronic illness. I cannot keep up with all the experiments in our science this year and need them to be a bit more independant. Also wanting some thing that meets national requirements.

Is this a black and white text? I checked out Spectrum and it looks dull and tedious even for grade 3. So, now I am searching for info on this and can't find any samples really.......

Any information would be appreciated....thanks!

When I was first looking into homeschooling, these came highly recommended by a homeschool mom who has a science background. She combined the book with RS4K with her son, but said the book would be fine as a standalone curriculum if need be. I didn't go that route, but know Steck-Vaughn would be a great backup plan if science starts to go south.

I am using a different science curriculum from Steck-Vaughn, "Focus on Science", which is geared for kids with LD's, or in special ed. It is not colorful, just black-and-white, but that's fairly common in special ed books (less distracting). I'm guessing it follows a similar scope and sequence to the Steck-Vaughn regular science books though, and it is quite good. DS isn't a fan of science, but does tolerate Focus on Science quite well.

We have used several Steck-Vaughn textbooks, and all were good.

Michelle T

Thank you both.....that was helpful. Can either of you tell me if the Steck-Vaughn books are full of experiments every day? Just trying to figure out how teacher intensive they are. And now I have to decide what grade level to get my daughters being it's midyear.........ugh. How I'd love to go through just one year without changing one book/curriculum. Oh well!

Change can be good..........

Thank you both.....that was helpful. Can either of you tell me if the Steck-Vaughn books are full of experiments every day? Just trying to figure out how teacher intensive they are. And now I have to decide what grade level to get my daughters being it's midyear.........ugh. How I'd love to go through just one year without changing one book/curriculum. Oh well!

Change can be good..........

Focus on Science only has a hands-on activity every six lessons or so. This works well for me, as DS hates such activities. I don't know if the grade specific books are the same, though.

Michelle T