Menu

Is there an alternative to "Rulebook for Arguments" by Weston?

I know the WTM instructions for this book seem pretty simple...BUT...

I would *really* *really* like the same information in a text book with exercises and a Teacher's Answer key. (Or even an online class would be great!)

I am just not relishing the thought of spending time outlining this for myself so that I can tell whether or not ds has outlined it correctly. I can already tell that the "find an example" will be a constant refrain of, "I looked...really...I just couldn't find anything."

Realistically, I think this will be one of those things that gets knocked off the schedule, and never finds it way back unless I have something to help me hold ds accountable. (Why it is so much easier for me to stick to my guns when someone else has declared what the assignments should be, I don't know!)

Any ideas?

Thanks, guys!

Edited by Rhondabee

I am using The Argument Builder with my ds13 & ds15. We will be completing it in one semester working 3-4 days a week. In addition, we will be watching Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning. For the first few (undetermined number :)) of chapters I will type up the outline that comes with the series and leave blanks for my boys to fill in. This hand-holding is really for the benefit of ds13, but I don't mind cutting ds15 some slack. My hope is by the mid-point of the series they will be outlining completely on their own. The TC series provides clear examples of types as does the Argument Builder.

I am using The Argument Builder with my ds13 & ds15. We will be completing it in one semester working 3-4 days a week. In addition, we will be watching Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning. For the first few (undetermined number :)) of chapters I will type up the outline that comes with the series and leave blanks for my boys to fill in. This hand-holding is really for the benefit of ds13, but I don't mind cutting ds15 some slack. My hope is by the mid-point of the series they will be outlining completely on their own. The TC series provides clear examples of types as does the Argument Builder.

(For some reason whenever I try to look at The Argument Builder, my computer freezes, and I have to re-start. So, I apologize if this info is on that website!)

DS13 is about a month away from finishing Introductory Logic (Nance). By chance, do you know if *Intermediate* Logic and The Argument Builder would be repetitive? Or, should we aim to finish the Nance series this year?

(background to this: since my hysterectomy, I *feel* like we are WAY behind. I'm thinking if I could get away with *not* doing the Intermediate, it would be a blessing time-wise! Not to mention that Memoria Press has me doubting that the math-based logic is really all that beneficial. :confused:)

Thanks in part to your post in my other thread, we'll be starting TOG Year 1 next year (your blog has been very helpful!). And, I'm planning on using the Writing Aids.

So, I'm guessing you would probably advise us to do *just* The Argument Builder?

And, finally, is it meant to be a one-semester course, or are you speeding it up?

(Oh, I bought the TC course - looks like a great way for *me* to cover it all first! Then maybe we'll do that second semester.)

Thanks for all your help!

Rhonda

Edited by Rhondabee

DS13 is about a month away from finishing Introductory Logic (Nance). By chance, do you know if *Intermediate* Logic and The Argument Builder would be repetitive? Or, should we aim to finish the Nance series this year?

The Argument Builder is a bridge between logic and rhetoric. I don't know anything about the Nance course, sorry, my oldest completed Traditional Logic.

Thanks in part to your post in my other thread, we'll be starting TOG Year 1 next year (your blog has been very helpful!). And, I'm planning on using the Writing Aids.

:leaving:

And, finally, is it meant to be a one-semester course, or are you speeding it up?
CAP says give a 1/2 credit and that it's 1 semester at 4-5 days and can be spread out to the whole year in 2-3 days a week.

(Oh, I bought the TC course - looks like a great way for *me* to cover it all first! Then maybe we'll do that second semester.)
I watched it all myself first too. I learned a lot, it's really great.