Menu

TOG (Y2) vs. WP QMA?

jejily

I need help thinking through next year's curriculum, and would love to hear from those who have used TOG (Y2) and WinterPromise's Quest for the Middle Ages.

I did a search of TWTM on this, and see lots of replies, but most are comparing ToG to SL or MFW, or to a different WP package.

Here's the skinny: I am only homeschooling one child, but have been spending enormous amounts of time coming up with evaluations and comprehension questions and the like for this year's homeschooling. We are using Learning Adventures, and combining it with WP's Quest for the Ancient World. I'm even throwing in a little of the Illuminations curriculum. But I'm slowly going insane.

I have browsed through TOG's sample unit, and love what I'm seeing. But is it worth the cost for one child? DS will be in 6th grade next year. We have a great library system, so I am confident I could borrow many of the books we need. Still... I would love some reassurance from those who have BTDT that it is worth every penny.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I need help thinking through next year's curriculum, and would love to hear from those who have used TOG (Y2) and WinterPromise's Quest for the Middle Ages.

I did a search of TWTM on this, and see lots of replies, but most are comparing ToG to SL or MFW, or to a different WP package.

Here's the skinny: I am only homeschooling one child, but have been spending enormous amounts of time coming up with evaluations and comprehension questions and the like for this year's homeschooling. We are using Learning Adventures, and combining it with WP's Quest for the Ancient World. I'm even throwing in a little of the Illuminations curriculum. But I'm slowly going insane.

I have browsed through TOG's sample unit, and love what I'm seeing. But is it worth the cost for one child? DS will be in 6th grade next year. We have a great library system, so I am confident I could borrow many of the books we need. Still... I would love some reassurance from those who have BTDT that it is worth every penny.

If you're spending an enormous amount of time to have evaluation and discussion questions, then yes, you will probably love TOG. It's wonderful from that aspect. Worth every penny? I'll spend a lot of money on something that's going to save me time, b/c time is money, KWIM? I'm sure you could even purchase it used and save even more.

That said, I am currently using WP QMA and we love it. It's a great fit for us, but I'm satisfied w/ the depth Mystery of History gives us. Schooling 4 boys makes TOG very hard (atleast for me). I tried it last year, I LOVE the program, but I couldn't get it to work. It's simply a preference thing! Let me know if there are any specific questions you have about QMA.

HTH

Tiffani

Well I have used AW and the old AS 1 (with the Encyclopedia) and own QAW. I did the last quarter of TOG year 2 classic and am working through year 3 now. BTW too bad you didn't need this in about 5 years because I will probably put together a schedule coordinate it all (including Illuminations). Because I am a curriculium junkie. :D Actually there are specific reasons why I like each piece. With WP it is the activities, TOG is our spine (topics and books), MOH I just adore and with Illuminations I will probably use the study guides with the read alouds. Yes I need help. ;)

Anyway, yes TOG might be worth it for you. It will include questions (often both discussion and thinking type) for the literature, history, church, government and philosophy. If you don't want to do all of those pieces you don't have to. :D The evaluations CD also includes extra written work/question answer type stuff that might also be of interest, but it is a separate product and additional cost.

But it is too much for some people and they find themselves totally overwhelmed. You aren't supposed to do everything listed, but choose the parts that are important to you. I personally don't use the Student Activity Pages (much more than activities), the questions, or read the teacher notes (shhhh). TOG gives me the weekly topic, book choices (though I do often substitute other books), mapping, vocab, timeline work, and people of interest (which I use to pick up biographies).

Can you try out one of their sample weeks?

Heather