Menu

Looking for a good soup recipe for leftover chicken

I roasted a chicken for dinner last night and have quite a bit of meat left over. I'd like to make a soup with it without having to go to the store for extra ingredients. I have chicken broth, a couple of bags of frozen stew vegetables, onions, and mushrooms. I don't care for chicken noodle soup, but we all like creamed soups or some kind of stew using the chicken instead of beef would be great. I'm not a creative cook, so I need specifics for what I can do with these ingredients. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chicken and dumplings? Just pile everything into the pot and bring it up to a simmer. While it's simemering, make a biscuit dough. I pat mine out to about 1/2 inch thickness, then cut it with a knife into about 1 inch chunks. Drop the biscuit dough on top, then put the lid on for about 10 minutes. Stir in some cream before serving.

You could make a chicken curry, with Thai curry paste, the stock & veggies, and a can of coconut milk, and serve it over rice.

Cream soups are easy, just make a roux - say, 2 TBS butter, melted, and 2-3 TBS flour - add the stock, add the chicken and veggies, bring it up to a boil, then lower the heat and add some cream or milk and heat it mack to a simmer. If it turns out too thin for your liking, you can mix soft butter and flour into a paste (the butter will hold a lot more flour than you think) and add it at the end, to thicken it.

You could make a nifty chicken and barley stew with the chicken, stock, veggies and barley (the ratio of pearled barley to liquid is 1:4)

Mexican Chicken & Rice Soup

2 large chicken breasts, boned, skinned & diced

6-8 cups water or broth

1/4 cup each diced celery, carrots & onions

½ cup salsa or Rotel, pureed in blender so it won’t be too chunky

½ cup parboiled/converted rice

½ cup frozen whole kernel corn

¼ teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon dried cilantro

1/8 teaspoon green Tabasco sauce (or more) if desired

salt to taste

Stew chicken until tender in about 2 cups of the water or broth, along with the diced celery, carrots & onions. Add 4-6 cups water, salsa, rice, corn, cumin, cilantro, salt, and Tabasco; simmer at least 30 minutes.

To serve, sprinkle with shredded cheese and diced avocado if desired. Goes great with Mexican cheese & jalapeno cornbread or Cheez-Its (try the Hot & Spicy ones!)

I love Taste of Home's: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with my own variations, of course. My family loves it.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 quart water (I don't add water. I double my chicken broth)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, finely chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped ( I use a few cans of mixed vegetables)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour ( I don't add flour. I use 2-3 cans of cream of mushroom soup. I first place it in a bowl and add a little milk then nuke it for a few minutes til cream. Then I add it to the soup pot.)
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and mixed vegetables in broth while on simmer. Add cooked wild rice and soup mixture. Bring to medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until onions and celery are tender. Reduce heat; stir in seasonings to taste. Simmer for 10 min. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).