Menu

IEW and Suzuki question

inashoe

In Unit 2 IEW talked about the Suzuki method and how it has had such a positive effect on education in general and not just music.

I know I am tired, but I didn't really understand what he was getting at.

Were you able to understand it or take anything away from what he was saying.

How could one apply the Suzuki method to other areas of education ?

This is my understanding of what he was saying.

The Suzuki method is a mastery learning aproach...which is a teaching style which reviews subject matter until it is mastered. (sorry I couldn't think of another way to say it) Then, as the student moves on, they continue to play the songs or review the learning so mastery is retained.

If you apply this to poetry memorization or other subjects it looks like this... You have your student completely learn the information presented, like addition facts or The Moon. You spend as much time on it as you need to, starting with small parts then moving to larger parts. Review, review, review.

My dd does very well with this style of teaching. I, however, do not.

HTH

This is my understanding of what he was saying.

The Suzuki method is a mastery learning aproach...which is a teaching style which reviews subject matter until it is mastered. (sorry I couldn't think of another way to say it) Then, as the student moves on, they continue to play the songs or review the learning so mastery is retained.

If you apply this to poetry memorization or other subjects it looks like this... You have your student completely learn the information presented, like addition facts or The Moon. You spend as much time on it as you need to, starting with small parts then moving to larger parts. Review, review, review.

My dd does very well with this style of teaching. I, however, do not.

HTH

:iagree:

This is an excellent response to the Suzuki method of learning. I so use the approach in teaching my sons how to memorize their scriptures and poems. I am really into the mastery approach and so I try to work with my sons this way. I also teach them Latin this way. I use the CDs for Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. Just like in Suzuki, I have them listen to it over and over. Then I have them learn some words or a grammar lesson. We keep going over it until they have mastered it. I agree with that philosophy of teaching and I don't use IEW, but I do use Suzuki and I do apply it to other areas of learning.

Happy New Year!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I use the CDs for Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. Just like in Suzuki, I have them listen to it over and over. Then I have them learn some words or a grammar lesson. We keep going over it until they have mastered it.

Thanks for these responses.

I would like to especially apply it to Latin. ds is having trouble memorizing the words. So, do you suggest that I play the CD with the vocab for him each day. How often, how much, do you do this ?

Do you move onto the next lesson before all the vocab is memorized ?

To add to that, Andrew Pudewa is a Suzuki trained violin teacher who studied with Suzuki. If you read the intro to the Poetry program he goes into more depth about his program of memory mastery, which is very similar to what Dragons in the Flower Bed/CM and Drew recommend.

Pudewa goes more in to depth about his philosophy on some of his tapes.

Once mentioned that this approach doesn't work so well for her, though it does for her son. I wonder if it's because you are well out of the grammar stage and memory work does become more difficult to master as you get older. My kids have a much easier time of memorizing than I do.

I've have been thinking about his for the last hour. I suspect that Suzuki was influenced by the Classical method of teaching as they seem to dovetail nicely. The chanting and repeating that we are doing in FLL is the same reveiw that my dd does for her piano lessons. All of these things make mastery possible for my daughter.

Once mentioned that this approach doesn't work so well for her, though it does for her son. I wonder if it's because you are well out of the grammar stage and memory work does become more difficult to master as you get older. My kids have a much easier time of memorizing than I do.

I'm afraid you are right. I didn't use my brain power while I had it. ;) What is the old adage...if you don't use it you lose it. Another aspect is that I tire of teaching the same thing over and over. My dd stills needs time to master it and I'm ready to move on. Boredom is my worst enemy as a homeschool mom. My daughter's Suzuki piano teacher models a patience that I can not fathom. She plays the same songs over and over again with all her kids, day in a day out. I do not know how she manages her enthusiasm.

If you read any of the works by Shinichi Suzuki, he outlines his education program as well as his music education program. He put his educational ideas into practice in schools (preschools if I remember right but it's been awhile) for young children in Japan. Check out "Nurtured By Love." It really is amazing what he accomplished in his time.

When dd started violin, I read all the books I could on the method and very easily incorporated his ideas into my own teaching/homeschooling.

Thanks for these responses.

I would like to especially apply it to Latin. ds is having trouble memorizing the words. So, do you suggest that I play the CD with the vocab for him each day. How often, how much, do you do this ?

Do you move onto the next lesson before all the vocab is memorized ?

I usually try to go for once the vocabulary is memorized then move on. My younger son will not complete Prima Latina this year.

Here's what I do (this is based on what another violin teacher told me): instead of reading a bedtime story now, we listen to the CDs. I tell you my older son picks up on it quickly. My younger son is repeating the information, but not as quickly. However, they both are saying the pronounciation in the morning. So, they are hearing the lessons at night while in bed sleeping. Then, in the mornings we go over Latin chants and vocabulary. You would be shocked (I was) at how much they spit back at you. Small doses of the Latin and then let grow bigger and bigger. They are saying by the end of the book about 200 words. My older son still remembers his vocabulary.

I hope that was helpful.

Happy New Year!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony