Menu

Really good chili recipe????

I use cumin, cinnamon, cocoa, garlic or garlic powder, chili powder, salt, sugar and lots of chopped onions and celery, along with ground beef and diced tomatoes (large sized can of 20-something oz.). I brown the ground beef and onion, add the tomatoes, celery, and seasonings, bring it to a boil, and turn it down to simmer for at least an hour. I add the beans (1-2 cans of kidney beans - white, pink, or red - per pound of ground beef), and cook the chili for an additional 15 minutes or so.

I serve it with tortilla chips, and top it with chopped raw onion and grated cheddar cheese.

I like it best with ground turkey or chicken, rather than ground beef. I don't measure my seasonings -- I put in whatever feels right -- probably 1-2 tsp. each of cumin, cinnamon, salt, sugar and garlic, 1 T Hershey's cocoa powder, and 3 T of chili powder per pound of meat. I prefer to use fresh garlic, in which case I put in about 3 cloves, minced.

For reasons unknown to me, my extended family eats chili over spaghetti, but that sounds yucky to me -- still, you might want to try it.

I don't know if this is the best chili, but it is good. My dog likes it, too.

Edited by RoughCollie

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Here's mine that I posted recently. I make it at least twice a month. This chili is my oldest son's absolute favorite meal and the other two love it also.

1 Tbs. canola oil

4 jalapenos, minced (seed and devein 3 of them for medium-hot, and all 4 for mild.)

1 medium onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp. salt

1 lb. ground sirloin

2 Tbs. chili powder

1 Tbs. cumin

1 tsp. oregano

1 bay leaf

14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

15 oz can tomato sauce

16 oz can kidney beans

Toppings: grated cheddar, chopped green onions, and sour cream (particularly good to mix in for littles if you have made it a bit too spicy for them)

Underings: elbow pasta

Heat oil in dutch oven on M-H heat. Add jalapenos-salt, mixing well. Add meat and cook through. Add chili powder-bay leaf and incorporate well. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a while. (Sometimes I simmer for hours and sometimes I serve right away.)

Kristina

Saute a chopped onion, garlic clove, and seasonings (cumin, chili powder) in oil until onion is soft (you can use bell pepper if you'd like; it gives me heart burn:glare:). Add 3 cans of beans, your choice; I use a variety like black beans, pinto beans, Great Northern beans...usually not kidney beans. Add 1 can of beef broth, and 1 large can of crushed tomatoes. Cook for an hour or so. Voila!

I have added chili peppers. Depends on how hot y'all like it.

Of course, you can add beef of your choice, too.

We serve over rice, topped with grated cheese.