Menu

Rod & Staff 8th Bible: good for independent workers?....

Libby in Texas

What is their Bible doctrine like? We've used A Beka, BJU, CLE, and R&S (for English only) but I am wondering what their beliefs are like in the upper grades, as I understand the Mennonite doctrine is really evident in their upper grades (although I didn't see anything offensive at all in using their English for grades 3-8 for 5 years now!). Just curious how different Mennonites are from born-again Christians, which is what we are. I really like the simplicity of their approach in teaching without bells & whistles in their English program and am hoping it rings true for their Bible for my 8th dd. She is a total independent worker. I'd like to give their Bible course a chance. Anyone tried it and liked it? Not liked it? I know they believe in being born-again, but I am not sure I know enough about them to feel completely at ease. I guess I should just try it and find out for myself. I just know this board is amazing at how much I learn from y'all!!

Blessings,

Libby in Texas :)

Rod and Staff Bible is excellent! It would be helpful to educate yourself on Mennonite doctrine and practice before assuming the divide between your beliefs and theirs is overly wide. Mennonites were persecuted for insisting on a believer's baptism, so you may not be so far from their theology as you are assuming.

Rod and Staff Bible is expositional, and I have not seen much in the way of doctrinal teaching. It is an excellent Bible curriculum, that would work well for independent learners. I think it is useable by Christians from any denomination who take a high view of Scripture.

Considering how different Christian denominations are from one another (for instance Baptists from Lutherans), I was merely wanting to find out a little more about Mennonites because I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they may not believe in the "once saved, always saved" doctrine (just an example). I may be wrong and it's ok since I'm sincerely just trying to learn, that is the purpose of my inquiry. I just don't want to purchase something and find out later it didn't work as I've done that too many times and the cost adds up! I don't believe any divide exists. It's just a simple observation.

Blessings,

Libby in Texas

What is their Bible doctrine like? We've used A Beka, BJU, CLE, and R&S (for English only) but I am wondering what their beliefs are like in the upper grades, as I understand the Mennonite doctrine is really evident in their upper grades (although I didn't see anything offensive at all in using their English for grades 3-8 for 5 years now!). Just curious how different Mennonites are from born-again Christians, which is what we are. I really like the simplicity of their approach in teaching without bells & whistles in their English program and am hoping it rings true for their Bible for my 8th dd. She is a total independent worker. I'd like to give their Bible course a chance. Anyone tried it and liked it? Not liked it? I know they believe in being born-again, but I am not sure I know enough about them to feel completely at ease. I guess I should just try it and find out for myself. I just know this board is amazing at how much I learn from y'all!!

Blessings,

When I was researching this awhile ago, I remember getting the impression that the R&S Bible grades 5 to 8 was mostly analyzing the Bible, over 4 years. A lot of reading, comprehension questions, puzzles, fill in the blanks. Then, the grades 9 and 10 (I don't think they go higher, but I can't remember) seem to be more about indoctrinating students in their beliefs.

You can look at samples at milestone ministries, which I noted from another thread that you already know about. Then you'd have a better idea if you want her to get to know the Mennonite beliefs this way or not.

But if you are looking for something for your 8th grader, you might like starting in the grades 5 to 8 books. I'm pretty sure they could be done independently, but dh does the 5 book with ds, just for the sake of discussing things with him and guiding his thinking.

I was merely wanting to find out a little more about Mennonites

You can also call R&S Publishers and ask for some sample tracts or any type of free papers they send out, that will give you the info. you are looking for. They do seem to publish a lot of this and hand it out for free. Plus, the R&S reps I've dealt with in Ontario are VERY NICE! Very helpful people. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a polite, curious person calling up to ask.

Ah, thanks Colleen! Sharing your research results (about grades 5-8 being mostly analyzing the Bible, etc..) was exactly what I was looking for!! I think that is a great place to start from! I'll probably look at all their samples for grades 5-8 and see which one I can order. Again, thanks so very much!

God Bless,

Colleen, I really like that 5th starts with Genesis and 8th ends with Revelation. Since the study would be for my 8th grade dd (who is pretty advanced ie taking Geometry), do you think 5th would be boring for her because maybe it's too easy? Or are all the levels (5-8) pretty much the same in difficulty? Slightly harder as they go along maybe? Also, hope you don't mind one more question: does one grade study last an entire year? I was thinking she could work through each of them a little faster. It'd be easy for her to do. Thanks again!

God Bless,

Colleen, I really like that 5th starts with Genesis and 8th ends with Revelation. Since the study would be for my 8th grade dd (who is pretty advanced ie taking Geometry), do you think 5th would be boring for her because maybe it's too easy? Or are all the levels (5-8) pretty much the same in difficulty? Slightly harder as they go along maybe? Also, hope you don't mind one more question: does one grade study last an entire year? I was thinking she could work through each of them a little faster. It'd be easy for her to do. Thanks again!

God Bless,

Hmm...good question, but I don't know the answer! I don't know if they progess in difficulty....I wonder if you could tell by the online samples. I'm going to assume they do increase in difficulty, because the R&S English books increase in difficulty - same stuff, but new layers of understanding.

The 5th grade Bible study is 30 weeks long (one lesson per week for 30 weeks), including review lessons. So, yes, it's about a year long, but she might be able to do two or three lessons per week and zoom through all the books, even if it takes longer than a year. Esp. if the younger books are easier. They are a great overview of the Bible. And I know you mentioned that she works independently, but if you wanted, you could go through the lessons with her orally (that's what dh and ds do here) so she won't have writing out answers holding her up, thus moving faster. And promoting discussion. And she could put events and people on a timeline, too. Just some ideas. Have fun! :)

I read through the whole thing this summer before giving it to my 6th grader, who wanted to do an Old Testamenet study on his own. It's very meaty with a good amount of geography that I didn't know. I learned a good amount from it myself. I didn't see anything that I was uncomfortable with, it was largely factual/historical in approach.

We're not conservative Mennonite, but are probably closer to them doctrinely than most, still I plan to read through each level before giving them to my children. My guess is that there will be some doctrinal differences in the New Testament courses. We use CLE math and reading, and I've done that each year for those as well, and I have seen things in the 7th grade and up programs that I had to consider. You are right that they do not believe in "once saved, always saved." They are also pacifists and are separatist in their beliefs about employment and dealing with non-believers. They baptise, and their churches advocate more accountability and involvement of their elders than some are used to.

If you have ever seen something like BJU Bible with all the doctrinal teaching and jumping around, Rod and Staff is the exact opposite. If you want to just stick with Scripture and teach your own specific church doctrine where it fits, R&S it excellent. The reason is it useable by so many denominations is that it simply lets Scripture take first place, rather than focusing on commentary, application, or church doctrine. I really like that!

We are Calvinists, but have no problem using Armenian materials, since I don't consider it "erroneous" or even essential. The longer I am a Christian, the longer I discover what I don't know, and what I don't know FOR SURE. I look at doctrinal differences as just a different member of the family's point of view that I find value in understanding and listening to, though I may not necessarily agree.

Rod and Staff is about as "neutral" as I have found. If you have a high view of Scripture (believe the Bible is inerrant and infallible), which it sounds like you do, and prefer chronological, expositional study, you will likely like R&S!

Blessings on your decisions.

and I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot, and I loved how they wove in geography, info about certain plants in Bible times, etc.-very interesting. I am a basic Bible-believing Christian (leaning toward Reformed the more I'm studying about it through Romans) that attends a General Baptist Conference church. All of Grade 5 stuck very, very close to Scripture. If you're looking for something that includes application and extras, like BJU (I've gone through their grade 3), this is not it. It's simply examining the Scriptures and adding on historical and geographical info. That's why I chose it! I've been doing other studies in between, but I plan to continue with this series. I can see where there may be some doctrinal quibbles more in the NT, which is why I'm trying to learn more about the Word and how the Holy Spirit is presenting it to ME before I go into something like this that may present doctrine.