Menu

Anyone start Ambleside Year 1 with a 5 3/4 year old?

Posted (edited)

My son will be 5 years, 8 months when we start the school year. I want to do Ambleside Online. Problem is, they strongly advise against starting before 6 years old. But we've already "done" Year 0... for years now. He's a mature 5 year old and loves school. Just curious if anyone has started just before a 6th birthday and had success with it. I'm fine with waiting, but also fine with not if it's not a totally bad idea 🙂

Edited by sjwhit

I have not done Ambleside, but in general the only issue I run into is when you start early you have to be aware that some where down the road there might be things that your child isn't ready to do, even though that's the next step. It looks like days/weeks/months where your child stalls out and you just have to wait until they are ready to move ahead. That either means you have to tweak the curriculum to make it work or pause.

So I would say go for it but don't put the whole year into your planner, just take it a week or so at a time. 

As with any homeschool program or curricula, you use the level for which the child before you is ready. If you have completed year 0, and he is ready for year 1, then go ahead. Again, as with any program or curricula, I would closely monitor, and if the workload is too heavy, then slow it down and spread it out over a longer period of time -- sounds like you have plenty of time, since your DS is not even up to the minimum recommended start age.

Another thought is to go ahead with year 1, but do it just a few days a week, and enjoy other less formal things on the in-between days, such as nature walks, play dates with friends, enjoying finger painting and other art/science hands-on, putting together puzzles, doing mazes, lots of picture books from the library, lots and lots of imaginative play, etc. etc. In other words, reduce the "formality" of year 1, to meet kinder-aged DS's social, emotional stage. 😄

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

As with any homeschool program or curricula, you use the level for which the child before you is ready. If you have completed year 0, and he is ready for year 1, then go ahead. Again, as with any program or curricula, I would closely monitor, and if the workload is too heavy, then slow it down and spread it out over a longer period of time -- sounds like you have plenty of time, since your DS is not even up to the minimum recommended start age.

Another thought is to go ahead with year 1, but do it just a few days a week, and enjoy other less formal things on i between, such as nature walks, play dates with friends, enjoying finger painting and other art/science hands-on, putting together puzzles, doing mazes, lots of picture books from the library, lots and lots of imaginative play, etc. etc. In other words, reduce the "formality" of year 1, to meet kinder-aged DS's social, emotional stage. 😄

Wonderful idea, thank you.