Menu

Classical Greek options

I planned on teaching Latin myself using first 1/2 Wheelock’s and the plethora of help/videos online, but the kid likes the idea of Greek better. My first thought was to do First Form Greek at home in 8th grade in the fall to test the waters, but the kid despised First Form Latin and visibly cringed when I mentioned it. 

After speaking with him, I have settled on classical Greek and Athenaze. I know CLRC does the first 10 chapters in Highschool Greek 1, Lukeion manages the entire first book in Greek 1, and Schole does about the first 12 chapters. Less aggressive is the better choice for this student. Do all 3 providers give extra material that is not in the book? Are they equal in quality in your experience?

He would prefer a self-paced option rather than a live class. Could I get the materials and work ahead (like I had planned with Wheelock’s) and teach this at home at 1 chapter every two weeks pace?  I would aim for 10-12 chapters at home, then if he wants to continue move to one of the providers above for Greek 2. Any experience with self-paced courses that use videos and lesson plans that we could manage at home? 

I definitely think you could use Athenaze as you planned to use Wheelock's. Get the workbook, too. I'd also add some audio recordings to get the Greek in your ear (Luke Ranieri's are good and, I believe, still available for free on his patreon), and if you find you want more reading practice, the Italian edition of Athenaze has excellent additional text. 

If you wanted a self-paced video course, you might look at Seumus Macdonald's. We haven't used this particular course, but have been happy with his live classes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LostintheCosmos said:

I definitely think you could use Athenaze as you planned to use Wheelock's. Get the workbook, too. I'd also add some audio recordings to get the Greek in your ear (Luke Ranieri's are good

Yes, I would definitely need audio and or video to help so thank you for the recommendations! I know that a good teacher adds to the book’s teaching and can fill in any aspects that one can miss in an independent study. While I do have language learning experience, Greek is one that is new to me. 

I will get Athenaze and a couple of workbooks and start working on it. Thanks, again 🙂

• Like 1