Menu

Singapore Primary math HIG Standards vs. US

homeschoolwarrior

I think I am gathering that the HIG for Singapore Primary Standards would be better than the U.S. edition for a parent who really struggles with math.  Any thoughts on this?  I'd rather use the U.S. edition in case I need to reference Singapore Math Live,  but I need the clearest and best HIG available.

Please send help.  :)

I haven’t used those specific editions of Singapore, so I can’t answer your question exactly. I am using Primary 2022 right now, though, and I would say that, for this edition, I’ve found the teacher’s guide to be much more helpful than the HIG. It’s in color, and it has pictures of the student’s pages in the book, which is nice for teaching lessons. It also explains the concepts better and shows the progression of skills that are being taught. I found the Primary 2022 HIG to be essentially an answer key, without much guidance for the parent. I know the editions vary, though, so maybe others will weigh in on their experiences with those you mentioned.

If you’re struggling with teaching Singapore math in general, though, there is a book written for teachers that you may find helpful, regardless of which Singapore edition you use. It’s called Elementary Mathematics for Teachers. It goes through the major concepts taught in elementary math and explains different approaches to teaching each concept. I think it is helpful for teaching any math curriculum, but it is specifically geared toward Singapore math. It is a little expensive to buy new, but I found a used copy that was reasonably priced.
https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Mathematics-Teachers-Thomas-Parker/dp/0974814008/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=216CSJVUTAO4H&keywords=elementary+mathematics+for+teachers&qid=1702984836&sprefix=elementary+mathematics+f%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1

Edited by Nichola