Menu

Detailed Lesson Plans for MEP Y9 and GCSE

Up through Year 8, MEP includes detailed lesson plans that hae been fabulous in guiding me as I have instructed my kids in math. However, starting in Year 9 I don't see detailed lesson plans on their website. I did email the staff at MEP (they have been responsive in the past), but am wondering if anyone here is aware of any resources - made by MEP or someone else - that could serve as that type of detailed lesson plan?

There are Lesson Plans for Year 9 (here is a link to the Lesson Plan for Unit 1 of Year 9), but the lesson plans for the upper years as just not as scripted as the lower years.   It does tell you what to do for each lesson--OS means overhead slide to teach with, PB=practice book, etc.  It's not as scripted in the lesson plans the because most of the direct teaching is in the student books (the practice books).

5 hours ago, A.M. said:

I have only looked at materials for year 9-11. These are addressed to the student.

Do you think a detailed lesson plan would still be necessary?

Interested to hear what other users think.

I hadn't quite thought about the materials as self-directed, but maybe that's because I have always instructed some (aka followed MEP's lesson plans - although I certainly skip a lot nd move at our own pace). I am just not as sooth or adept as they are and I am looking for some practical input on guiding a student through this material. 

• Like 1

In browsing by topic, I have found the the MEP Jamiaca books have more complete student instructions and these books go a long way at introducing the concepts in ways similar to what the lesson plans do. I may make a doc that aligns the Y9 concepts with these and maybe just use the Jamiacan materials (?) or use the front matter for each concept. https://www.cimt.org.uk/mepjamaica/

9 hours ago, carrierocha said:

In browsing by topic, I have found the the MEP Jamiaca books have more complete student instructions and these books go a long way at introducing the concepts in ways similar to what the lesson plans do. I may make a doc that aligns the Y9 concepts with these and maybe just use the Jamiacan materials (?) or use the front matter for each concept. https://www.cimt.org.uk/mepjamaica/

Sounds good that you have found these Jamaican materials. 

I wonder whether more detailed instructions are needed though. 

Maybe others who have used the higher levels, levels 9-11, can comment whether they found the instructions that are directed to the student in the worktext sufficient for their student to work with...