Menu

Virtual classes for observational drawing?

My 8th grader is considering applying to a fine arts magnet in our public schools, but they require a portfolio with a mixture of specific observational drawings and pieces of the artist's choice.  They also require kids to attend a live observational drawing session.  Observational drawing isn't his strength, so he's looking for some classes or 1:1 lessons.  

Does anyone have a good source for this?  

I think the stuff that Paul Priestley teaches is Observational Art (I know very little able art/drawing, I'm just going off the word observational-- so forgive me if I'm wrong).

Pal used his YouTube video lessons a lot to try and improve his drawing. I don't know if he teaches live lessons or not.

https://paulpriestleyart.com/drawing-school/

It seems that his website links back to his YouTube channel.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I think the stuff that Paul Priestley teaches is Observational Art (I know very little able art/drawing, I'm just going off the word observational-- so forgive me if I'm wrong).

Pal used his YouTube video lessons a lot to try and improve his drawing. I don't know if he teaches live lessons or not.

https://paulpriestleyart.com/drawing-school/

It seems that his website links back to his YouTube channel.

Oooh that's very cool.

I think observational drawing just means drawing things while looking at them.  As opposed to drawing things from your imagination, 3D art, both of which he prefers.  

ETA:  If I'm wrong someone please tell me!  The assignment just says to make a portfolio that must include 1 portrait and 2 still lives that are "observational value drawings" and the rest can be the artist's choice.  And then there is a drawing session where they draw something live.  

Edited by BandH

Library books are good. Both my kids did some outschool classes that were good. We also use random YouTube videos for mediums/areas I’m not so familiar with. Is there a specific area he needs help with?

To me observational value drawing is just careful attention to spatial relations and not rushing the shading. Blending cloths or smudging was a big no in my art experiences and all shading transitions had to just be done carefully.

1 hour ago, Tanager said:

Library books are good. Both my kids did some outschool classes that were good. We also use random YouTube videos for mediums/areas I’m not so familiar with. Is there a specific area he needs help with?

To me observational value drawing is just careful attention to spatial relations and not rushing the shading. Blending cloths or smudging was a big no in my art experiences and all shading transitions had to just be done carefully.

I think we need more support than just a book.

He's never really drawn from observation.  He draws a lot, but he draws things that are in his head.  He mostly draws either things he'd like to build, or experiences he has had, or experiences he wishes he had.  Other than maybe a few classes at school, he hasn't looked at something and drawn it. 

This is a pretty competitive program.  They take about 0.3% of the freshmen in our county.  I think he needs someone to guide him through the process, and give him feedback, and then hope that the rest of his portfolio is amazing enough to outweigh the fact that those three pieces will be pretty novice.  

I have recommended his site before, but TheVirtualInstructor.com has great lessons. Not one on one, but really well done. He has drawing classes for all media it seems, but your ds would probably want his pencil, charcoal, or pen and ink classes. When I looked up observational drawing in his site, it directed me to this page, so maybe look at the class linked at the bottom. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

I have recommended his site before, but TheVirtualInstructor.com has great lessons. Not one on one, but really well done. He has drawing classes for all media it seems, but your ds would probably want his pencil, charcoal, or pen and ink classes. When I looked up observational drawing in his site, it directed me to this page, so maybe look at the class linked at the bottom. 

Thank you!  This looks very useful.

• Like 1