Menu

MFW 1850-modern

Nm.

Anyone try this and like it?  I don’t think I would enjoy all their levels, and I know it won’t be perfect, but I already own a lot of the books.  And it’s scheduled.  I don’t care about rigor- just want something fun and easy to follow through with.

I’ve done the entire MFW history cycle with my olders. They’ve changed the science since then. We did it all as written. It wasn’t my favorite year, but it covered a lot. We enjoyed all the read alouds and many of the optional books from the back of the guide. It’s open and go. They let you know at the beginning of each week what supplies and student sheets you will need and which day, so you can be prepared. I loved using MFW. 

What didn’t you like about it?  Thank you!  Hard to find anyone that uses it.  What do you do now instead?  I think it’ll be a good fit for us the rest of this year and next.  Could I swap out student sheets for something else?

Edited by Lovinglife123

13 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

What didn’t you like about it?  Thank you!  Hard to find anyone that uses it.  What do you do now instead?  I think it’ll be a good fit for us the rest of this year and next.

I wouldn’t say I disliked any particular part of the program. It might have just been the time period and all the wars. Creation to the Greeks was my favorite year. There was a lot of activities, and I liked the cooking to help you better understand the lessons. 
I still have the TMs for CtG and RtR.

This year we are using parts of Exploring Countries and Cultures, and I plan to try out SonLight D&E (American history) for next year along with Taking the Americas for Jesus. We’ll be using Apologia Chemistry and Physics also.

My son loves to read together, so I’m hoping he’ll enjoy SL and not dread it. 🤞🏼

• Like 1

I totally get it- I have so much all I really needed was teacher manual.  Most is at the library, so I can try before I buy.  I have lots of other resources so I don’t think I will ever use MFW as written 😂.  I detest worksheets.. my boys are really interested in those wars.

I bought a 2014 manual- do you think this is the same science as now (chemistry and physics apologia)?  Or did you use 2014 manual?

• Like 1

If it’s different, it’ll be easy to change out the science. I got the apologia student notebook that has the schedule in the front. 
Ugh, same for worksheets here.  My ds does not like coloring sheets, so we skip those.

• Like 1

I don’t remember the science well, but I’m not sure the World of Science is available anymore. I can’t seem to find it online. I checked my Apologia Notebooking Journal and it is scheduled for 28 weeks. I saw the experiment book is available on Amazon but no preview. I love using Usborne Internet Links, so I did find those for the experiment book. https://usborne.com/us/quicklinks/quicklink/100-science-experiments-us?page=4
I would go with Apologia which has a lot of “Try This” exercises as well as experiments and I might get the 100 experiments book for fun as extra if there was time in the day to add it in. My ds loves science, so ymmv.

Edited by Mona
Correction
  • Like 1

oh I see!  World book is available for 5$.  I have apologia and not a fan because there’s so many experiments (I should love that I know).  Light scheduled science is better for me ,so maybe the original is better for me.  However there’s SO many random parts to MFW.  So many cds 😂 now I wish I bought the whole kit at once.  I feel like I’m already dropping the ball on day 0.  

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

It’s good to know! 😂 My local library was not much help when I used MFW, but the city library an hour away was great. They had all those CDs and many of the books in the back of the guide. How’s your library? Take your time looking through the guide. You still have plenty of time to decide if this is going to work for you. 

• Like 1

My library had a bunch and I’m just going to buy the 5$ world of science book to get started.  So excited, love the layout & book basket.  Not really a fan of the idea of all the missionary books (haven’t read them to really know)- did you ever skip those?  With a little planning I could just write in my own read alouds.

• Like 1

My kids were on the younger side, so I started with the YWAM Heroes for Young Readers for each missionary as an introduction. I love how these are written as poems. You can read them quickly in one sitting. Then they would watch animated Torchlighter videos (most are now available on YT on Vision Video’s channel). 
we read Corrie Ten Boom and Brother Andrew. They were very good, and I’ll read those again with my youngest. I just received this version of God’s Smuggler. https://www.christianbook.com/gods-smuggler-young-readers-edition/brother-andrew/9780800798055/pd/798055

The sample doesn’t show it, but there are some illustrations. God’s Smuggler is more appealing to boys, I think.

• Like 1