Menu

US and Medieval History

Ting Tang

My son wants to study medieval history. I feel he could also use an overview of US history again, and my two middles really need a solid US history overview.  How can I do one in one semester, and the other in the second semester?  Does anyone have any great curriculum recommendations that would only take a semester each or have unit suggestions? 

I like Notgrass for a good overview. I have been having my kids just read the textbooks (2-3 X a week) without any assignments on their own. They tell me about what they read most every time in addition they may draw something or record something in their book of centuries.

As a family, we are using Simply Charlotte mason Joshua through Judges and Ancient Greece. I read about the 1-3 grade books and family books. 1X a week the older kids read from their Ancient Greece book. It is a lighter course in terms of reading. It's perfect for us now though. We are learning tons of Bible and getting an overview of Greece which is all I want now.

You could look into Simply Charlotte Mason medieval history. I love the spine particularly! We used it a few  It's all year long but you may be able to read 1/2 of Notgrass as well as do the 4-6 grade medieval assignments kind of like we are doing. Notgrass is an interesting, not to hard read.

• Like 1

This year my son wanted to study medieval, but we were in the middle of American.  I got him a bunch of medieval books from library and let him read those on his own.. he was satisfied.  That is pretty much all we are doing for American history this year.  American history is set up as units anyway.. Native Americans, Explorers, Colonial Times, Revolutionary War, Slavery, Pioneer/Westward expansion, Civil War, etc.  SO much available for each topic.  Fun books like “choose your own path”, DK type books, novels, graphic novels, you name it.  I honestly would just take your time through the topics and enjoy it.  There’s not a ton of good books for kids on ancient/medieval.  I tend to do more country study units when not doing American.  Come highschool they do a full in-depth overview of history.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, countrymum said:

I like Notgrass for a good overview. I have been having my kids just read the textbooks (2-3 X a week) without any assignments on their own. They tell me about what they read most every time in addition they may draw something or record something in their book of centuries.

As a family, we are using Simply Charlotte mason Joshua through Judges and Ancient Greece. I read about the 1-3 grade books and family books. 1X a week the older kids read from their Ancient Greece book. It is a lighter course in terms of reading. It's perfect for us now though. We are learning tons of Bible and getting an overview of Greece which is all I want now.

You could look into Simply Charlotte Mason medieval history. I love the spine particularly! We used it a few  It's all year long but you may be able to read 1/2 of Notgrass as well as do the 4-6 grade medieval assignments kind of like we are doing. Notgrass is an interesting, not to hard read.

Thanks!  I have been looking at SCM a bit.  I'll have to see what I think about including Notgrass. I just do not want to overwhelm myself, lol.

10 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

This year my son wanted to study medieval, but we were in the middle of American.  I got him a bunch of medieval books from library and let him read those on his own.. he was satisfied.  That is pretty much all we are doing for American history this year.  American history is set up as units anyway.. Native Americans, Explorers, Colonial Times, Revolutionary War, Slavery, Pioneer/Westward expansion, Civil War, etc.  SO much available for each topic.  Fun books like “choose your own path”, DK type books, novels, graphic novels, you name it.  I honestly would just take your time through the topics and enjoy it.  There’s not a ton of good books for kids on ancient/medieval.  I tend to do more country study units when not doing American.  

I was considering just choosing books, too.  Sometimes I wonder about pacing and requirements when the scheduling falls on me.  Looking back, I realize I was way too hard on my then 2nd and 3rd graders as new homeschoolers, for example. I feel like I still need handholding three years later.  

We usually spend about a month per topic.  Sometimes it’s history topic, other times it’s a science topic, or a country.  For me, they don’t need to know everything, they just need to enjoy learning and have their skills up to par (reading, writing, math).  They won’t remember anything else.  I do use curriculum guides to help me choose books… PK-1st or 2nd grade I mainly just choose a five in a row book/ BFIAR to use each week.  Nature study books have been a big hit with my 1st grader, such cute stories.

Booklist around the world

Booklist around the world 2

Booklist American history primary

Booklist early American Intermediate

Gatherround resources

Five in a row booklist

Heart of dakota Middle Ages (for book ideas)

Booklist middles ages (Beautiful Feet)

Beautiful feet nature study booklist

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Field of daisies looks excellent too, I thought about it but not all of mine are into American girl.  I still might try some!  K-6th here there is not much focus on history or science.  They do a half semester of each, and not at the same time.  We far exceed that with doing a topic almost every month.  I don’t do a lot of reading aloud, I try to choose one chapter to read aloud from that will interest most of the children, then my younger books which I don’t require everyone to listen to.  The older kids read as much as they want from our library hauls.  Lots of ways to do it, this is just what we end up doing (even though I have tons of curriculum 😂)

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Field of daisies looks excellent too, I thought about it but not all of mine are into American girl.  I still might try some!  K-6th here there is not much focus on history or science.  They do a half semester of each, and not at the same time.  We far exceed that with doing a topic almost every month.  I don’t do a lot of reading aloud, I try to choose one chapter to read aloud from that will interest most of the children, then my younger books which I don’t require everyone to listen to.  The older kids read as much as they want from our library hauls.  Lots of ways to do it, this is just what we end up doing (even though I have tons of curriculum 😂)

Thank you very much for the list of resources!  I think the Field of Daisies has more than American Girl units (now).  My boys wouldn't be into that at all, lol.  I am just scanning at this point.  I am looking for something somewhat light and manageable.  Beautiful Feet has excellent lists, but they look pretty meaty if the intention is to read all the books?

@Ting Tang it’s not a lot if you just read aloud primary.. I let my older children read the other books themselves in intermediate and whatever I find at the library.  I also don’t mind switching the read aloud if it’s not a good fit.  I believe Charlotte Mason had children reading their own history at 9 years old.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

@Ting Tang it’s not a lot if you just read aloud primary.. I let my older children read the other books themselves in intermediate and whatever I find at the library.  I also don’t mind switching the read aloud if it’s not a good fit.  I believe Charlotte Mason had children reading their own history at 9 years old.

Thanks very much!  Sometimes I do not trust my children to read and comprehend on their own. My oldest does some himself, but our home has so many distractions. It is hard for them to sit, concentrate, and really engage themselves into something.  I need to be able to let go more...