Menu

Has anyone used IEW's US History Based Writing Lessons 1 & 2 in one year?

We'll at least attempt to do both books in 1 year w/ my 13yo twins boys. They are scheduled to do IEW 3x/wk, but the assignments usually take them 2 days. If they finish it in 2 days, they get the 3rd day off. The other 2 days we do grammar. They've finished 2/3 of the 1st book and we're not at the semester mark yet.

I think it's doable, especially if you do 3-5 days/wk. AND if your child's done IEW before. Last year we did a co-op class using the Medieval-based history lessons and that gave my guys a good foundation, so they pretty much do the IEW lessons on their own. I have to add that they are very good at self-led learning and asking questions if they need to.

FWIW,

Kimm in WA

, especially if you do 3-5 days/wk. AND if your child's done IEW before.

Kimm in WA

:iagree:

My ds hadn't done IEW before so it took him longer and that was OK.

IEW U.S. History v1 & v2 could be easily used over 2 years but we didn't have 2 yrs at that point. He's in high school now and relearning how to write (which is very much like the R&S way).

Did I tell you that I REALLY like IEW theme based writing? Ds #2 is currently doing IEW Ancient Writing. With IEW theme writing, it's so easy for mom and dc to GET writing done, learn the process and produce good papers.

I would use Elegant Essay sold by IEW for high school writing. :001_smile:

TY, I need to look into this more. If she does US based in her 9th grade that leaves us a few years to work through their other programs. I really like IEW and it's the first writing program we have used that we stuck with!

With the twins, I prob. won't do IEW next year. They will be back into the Omnibus roatation (took this year off to do IEW US history-based writing and WA State history while older brother did BJU US History B4 heading off to dual-enrollment next year). They'll be doing the 3rd Omnibus book, which covers this period, so we will continue with IEW US book 2 if they didn't finish it this year and take some of the Omnibus writing assignments and tailor them to IEW writing (anyone do this yet - I'd love not to have to invent the wheel!)

My 15yo ds just finished IEW's Elegant Essay. I will need to find topics for him to get more practice. He is a mathematical guy and writes short and sweet sentences. Actually, I think the 13yo's extra IEW practice is helping them and am wishing I'd done that w/ 15 yo also this year. Anyway, I'll have him continue writing essays and do the other aspects of IEW's College-bound student pack.

Kimm in WA

With the twins, I prob. won't do IEW next year. They will be back into the Omnibus roatation (took this year off to do IEW US history-based writing and WA State history while older brother did BJU US History B4 heading off to dual-enrollment next year). They'll be doing the 3rd Omnibus book, which covers this period, so we will continue with IEW US book 2 if they didn't finish it this year and take some of the Omnibus writing assignments and tailor them to IEW writing (anyone do this yet - I'd love not to have to invent the wheel!)

My 15yo ds just finished IEW's Elegant Essay. I will need to find topics for him to get more practice. He is a mathematical guy and writes short and sweet sentences. Actually, I think the 13yo's extra IEW practice is helping them and am wishing I'd done that w/ 15 yo also this year. Anyway, I'll have him continue writing essays and do the other aspects of IEW's College-bound student pack.

Kimm in WA

Thanks again!