Menu

Fun geography toy

Not_a_Number

Last term, we purchased a jigsaw puzzle globe on a whim: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9JXEHF/

It's been absolutely awesome as a geography toy. We've taken apart and put it together a few times now. Technically, it comes with instructions about how to do it in order, but if you ignore those and just try to put it together by looking at what country you're holding and thinking about where it fits, you get a really awesome geography workout. And of course, constantly rotating the thing and looking at it from all the perspectives really gets you to engage with where everything is, what the distances are... all sorts of useful stuff. 

Anyway, I highly recommend! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, mathmarm said:

We love ours too! We've also found that assembling it (and portions of it) has really reinforced geographic knowledge as well as.

Oh, awesome!! That's so fun that we're not the only ones who have it!! 

Do you have any other good geography toys? 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, awesome!! That's so fun that we're not the only ones who have it!! 

Do you have any other good geography toys? 

Our "fun geography stuff" are largely just globes (we have several) and popup books and jigsaw puzzles --GeoPuzzles are nice in that the puzzle pieces are shaped intentionally as countries and there is one for all 6 of the inhabited continents-- and then we also have some cool Geography themed books and popup books.

In our home school, we study geography very intentionally before starting history.

We use lots of maps (both store bought and printable) and markers and trace, label, id, etc. So they learn a strong visual map anyway.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, UHP said:

Does anyone know a place to buy a globe that has no country names or borders drawn on it?

I would like one for discussing ancient history.

ETA: This particular globe is a smooth globe that has the outline of Continents but no country borders. This globe does not seem to contain land features or coloration aside from land/water.

After I spent over a year looking for a globe with only land-features labeled and could never find one, I contacted a globe making company and got a special quote. I was looking for a textured globe with labeled land features, but no countries on it.

I was told that it would cost several hundreds because they'd have to stop production, set the machine specifically to label land features only but no countries or borders and then run off a small batch of globes (can't make just one) and then reset the machine to resume normal production.

Edited by mathmarm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mathmarm said:

I was told that it would cost several hundreds because they'd have to stop production, set the machine specifically to label land features only but no countries or borders and then run off a small batch of globes (can't make just one) and then reset the machine to resume normal production.

Wow. You could ask if they give tours!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, UHP said:

Does anyone know a place to buy a globe that has no country names or borders drawn on it?

I would like one for discussing ancient history.

I was deleting some digital clutter and remembered that I have this particular globe on a list of Potential Globes--it's only got the outline of Continents, but I never got it because I want a globe that includes land features. If you decide to get it, please let me know how you like it.

• Like 1