Menu

Trying to decide between 2 very different LA programs- Shurley vs Cottage Press

jerrysgal4ever

I've got our LA choices narrowed down to these 2 programs and I just can't decide. I've seen very little about Cottage Press out there, but it looks wonderful and we are currently using a combination of Classical and Charlotte Mason. Shurley also looks great to me- and I'm also wondering why no one likes their writing component?? Personally, I lean towards more of a structured TM so I like the scripting in Shurley, but I also love the Charlotte Mason qualities in the Cottage Press. These would be used with my 10, 11 and 15 year old, all tentatively on the same level as my 15 yo has learning disabilities. 

• Like 1

I'm not very familiar with Shurley but briefly looked at it for 3rd because I was told it was a good complement to a Latin program.  I have been looking at Cottage Press more closely.  

I am considering using Fable & Song for my 3rd and 5th graders next year.  I know it is recommended for 4th-6th grade, though.  I was hoping I could combine these two as they might be more similar in ability, but my concern is that the writing portion doesn't have enough scaffolding just yet for these two.  But I like that it follows the Progym at a different pace than other curriculums. 

I've even considering having my oldest, who'll be in 6th join them in Fable, but Bards & Poets might be more rigorous.  I was hoping to continue using MCT grammar but also do Latin, and all three seem like way too much.  Perhaps Bard & Poets and Latin, but I just hate the idea of dropping MCT for grammar.  He just needs a different writing program, too.

Do you think CP is explicit enough in terms of grammar?  Another thing I am not sure about is the spelling analysis. We also use separate spelling programs.  It doesn't seem like a great replacement since I feel they need a whole program, but then this analysis section feels like too much extra on top of a spelling curriculum.  What are your hesitations specifically about CP?

Sigh.  

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I'm not very familiar with Shurley but briefly looked at it for 3rd because I was told it was a good complement to a Latin program.  I have been looking at Cottage Press more closely.  

I am considering using Fable & Song for my 3rd and 5th graders next year.  I know it is recommended for 4th-6th grade, though.  I was hoping I could combine these two as they might be more similar in ability, but my concern is that the writing portion doesn't have enough scaffolding just yet for these two.  But I like that it follows the Progym at a different pace than other curriculums. 

I've even considering having my oldest, who'll be in 6th join them in Fable, but Bards & Poets might be more rigorous.  I was hoping to continue using MCT grammar but also do Latin, and all three seem like way too much.  Perhaps Bard & Poets and Latin, but I just hate the idea of dropping MCT for grammar.  He just needs a different writing program, too.

Do you think CP is explicit enough in terms of grammar?  Another thing I am not sure about is the spelling analysis. We also use separate spelling programs.  It doesn't seem like a great replacement since I feel they need a whole program, but then this analysis section feels like too much extra on top of a spelling curriculum.  What are your hesitations specifically about CP?

Sigh.  

I'm also looking at Fable and Song. I wish I could get my hands on the whole book rather than the online sample. The grammar looks good to me. I would probably just add in Spelling City or something similar, as my kids enjoy it. I like the looks of the spelling analysis. I love the inclusion of poetry. I think my scales are tipped a little more towards the CP. But prior to discovering it, I was considering the Shurley. I actually purchased a teacher manual on Ebay for around $6, level 5, and I'm reading through it trying to decide. The biggest thing that is slowing me down on Shurley is the jingles- I'm just not sure I can get my kids to go along with them. This year we are using English Grammar Recitation (Memoria Press) and they love the flashcards. I'm heading to a homeschool convention the end of March so I'm hoping to find actual copies of the CP to examine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jerrysgal4ever said:

I'm also looking at Fable and Song. I wish I could get my hands on the whole book rather than the online sample. The grammar looks good to me. I would probably just add in Spelling City or something similar, as my kids enjoy it. I like the looks of the spelling analysis. I love the inclusion of poetry. I think my scales are tipped a little more towards the CP. But prior to discovering it, I was considering the Shurley. I actually purchased a teacher manual on Ebay for around $6, level 5, and I'm reading through it trying to decide. The biggest thing that is slowing me down on Shurley is the jingles- I'm just not sure I can get my kids to go along with them. This year we are using English Grammar Recitation (Memoria Press) and they love the flashcards. I'm heading to a homeschool convention the end of March so I'm hoping to find actual copies of the CP to examine. 

We used EGR last year, and we dropped Latin this year, so we dropped that program.  I did see those jingles, lol.  I think chants are definitely a thing with many classical curriculums.  I can see how they would be helpful at times for memory work, I suppose. But having to do them as a main part of the curriculum wouldn't work well for us or for me.  Also, for some reason, I just do not like the appearance of Shurley.  CP just looks aesthetically more pleasing to me.  It might sound silly, but it gives me a better impression of the program. 

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Are you doing Latin alongside EGR? If so, you really don’t need another grammar. BTDT. 

The jingles in CAP won’t appeal, either. For simplicity’s sake, I would not choose Shurley.

I hope you get to see copies.

That's an excellent point.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Are you doing Latin alongside EGR? If so, you really don’t need another grammar. BTDT. 

The jingles in CAP won’t appeal, either. For simplicity’s sake, I would not choose Shurley.

I hope you get to see copies.

What's EGR? Or BTDT?