Menu

Writing Strands: comparing old and new?

lilamom

Hi there,

I've been re-reading WTM and like the sound of Writing Strands for my fifth grader. Unfortunately, I know that the series has been recently revised, and it seems quite different than the originals mentioned in WTM.

Can anyone point me to good resources/discussions here comparing the old and new versions?

Alternately, any currently published good alternatives to the original Writing Strands?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I just purchased the originals on eBay and  am very pleased!  They recommend starting with 3, and I’m glad I did.  It has led to more detailed sentences so far.

Wonderful! Thanks! Do you mind sharing a rough summary of what level 3 includes?

I will check and let you know tomorrow!  It looks like the current masterbooks version  beginner 2 has some similar lessons.

I don’t know the differences, but I’m sure they reworked it a bit. 

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

I have never used a writing program before, so keep that in mind.  It seems like a unique way of teaching creative writing.

Level 3:  They start with a very short sentence, and then have children think of questions to make the sentence more descriptive.  They do variations of this with paragraphs, a very short story, a description of a friend, a short piece of fiction, and so on.  There are lessons on organization, creating a piece.  Nothing on grammar.

I chose level 3 for a precocious & creative 4th grader who loves to write and a 6th grader who hates to write (with absolutely no creativity).  It is just right.  We use rod and staff, so they have lots of more formal writing/grammar practice there.  As soon as we started, within 2 lessons, I saw them transferring the skills over to their other subjects. It speaks directly to the child.  My 4th grader has not been waiting for me and is doing it by herself (which may not last long, however it is written to be done that way).  My guess is that it’s success depends on whether they have a good solid grammar program or not.  I don’t think it will work if they don’t have that foundation.  I hope that helps.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 6:09 AM, Lovinglife123 said:

I have never used a writing program before, so keep that in mind.  It seems like a unique way of teaching creative writing.

Level 3:  They start with a very short sentence, and then have children think of questions to make the sentence more descriptive.  They do variations of this with paragraphs, a very short story, a description of a friend, a short piece of fiction, and so on.  There are lessons on organization, creating a piece.  Nothing on grammar.

I chose level 3 for a precocious & creative 4th grader who loves to write and a 6th grader who hates to write (with absolutely no creativity).  It is just right.  We use rod and staff, so they have lots of more formal writing/grammar practice there.  As soon as we started, within 2 lessons, I saw them transferring the skills over to their other subjects. It speaks directly to the child.  My 4th grader has not been waiting for me and is doing it by herself (which may not last long, however it is written to be done that way).  My guess is that it’s success depends on whether they have a good solid grammar program or not.  I don’t think it will work if they don’t have that foundation.  I hope that helps.

Thank you!! Really appreciate these details.