Menu

Phillis Wheatley resources?

abbeyej

My 8yo and I read A Voice of Her Own: The Story of Phillis Wheatley (Lasky) today and she would love to learn more. I requested a couple of children's books from the library, but I doubt they offer much beyond the book we've read already. Anything else to recommend? Books, podcasts, maybe a kid-friendly documentary?

On 1/9/2023 at 9:42 PM, AroundtheCorner said:

Wait!  Is this THE abbeyej from way back in the day?  I was just thinking about you the other day when I was remembering past posters from years ago. Kolbi, Alaska, Crissy in WA, Mindy, Colleen, Janice in NJ etc. My username has changed. I used to live in Korea, if that rings any bells. So good to see you!

Lol, yes! My older two are out of college now, but my "baby" is in 3rd grade. 😄 

• 1 month later...

If your daughter likes poetry, you could get a copy of The Poems of Phillis Wheatley.  There is some extra information in the front and back of the book about Phillis Wheatley, but you would have to find a way to put it in a child's terms. The cool thing about some of the information is that it is straight from the 1700's from people who knew her.  It includes a letter written to her by George Washington.  

Angel