Menu

Sonlight Kindergarten Read Alouds

TateyBonetto

Hi all! I am using the Sonlight Kindergarten book list for bedtime read alouds this year. I've been letting my 5-year-old pick out the next book as we finish a book. We started with My Father's Dragon which was super engaging for her. However, some of the books seem to be a lot more difficult for her to track. We don't have the Sonlight guide to follow. Does anyone happen to know the suggested order for the kindergarten read alouds? Are they in graduated difficulty levels?

In my experience, comprehension at that age (and with older kids) is largely based on interest and prior knowledge...not on specific difficulty level. Not to say that I would choose Moby Dick for a 5 year old just because they were interested in the ocean, but I read Because of Winn-Dixie (recommended for upper elementary) to my dog-loving 4 year old, and she had a great time with it, whereas I think The Magician's Elephant, also by Kate DiCamillo, would have been harder for her to comprehend despite it probably being a bit "easier" of a book.

I also find that I can jump start comprehension by making sure the kids are familiar with the book before we start. It is so easy for my young kids to get overwhelmed (and react negatively) to a book that feels foreign and too hard. So before we start, I make sure we know in general what the book is about. We get introduced to the main characters, we figure out what genre to expect, etc. We do just a bit of pre-reading online so that when we start the book it feels like filling in the details into an outline we are already prepared for.