Menu

Spending a month between ancient ruins project ideas needed

lulalu

We will be spending a month between many ancient ruins now that travel has opened back up. We will be studying ancient/greek history to coincide with our travel. We have visited many ancient ruins in the past (and returning to some we have already been to) so my DS is past just looking and walking through the ruins. But we will be taking a whole month of travel to focus on sites that are of interest to us.

I need help brainstorming projects/assignments DS can do. He will be 11. I plan to read a retelling of Troy while we visit Troy. And possibly have him create a map of the excavation and then match up with events from the story. We are already very familiar with the Greek Myths. What else can we do? 

Oh I'm so jealous, what a fantastic opportunity!  I hope you have a lovely time.  Homeschool for the win!!

You might like to have him read Laura Amy Schlitz' book The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug For Troy.  You should know going in that she doesn't think he's a hero at all, but rather a boaster who probably made up legends about himself after the fact.  Nevertheless, a good account of the man and the discovery of Troy, as well as an encouragement toward critical thinking.

Are you going to Crete as well?  You might have him trace connections between the Minotaur myth and the Knossos excavation - eg the labyrinthine palace floor plan, the objects that look like bull horns, the frescoes that depict bull jumping.

I know there are sites in the UK that allow the general public to assist in excavations.  I wonder whether any sites convenient for you will do this as well?  Not sure who to ask - one of the universities, perhaps?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Oh I'm so jealous, what a fantastic opportunity!  I hope you have a lovely time.  Homeschool for the win!!

You might like to have him read Laura Amy Schlitz' book The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug For Troy.  You should know going in that she doesn't think he's a hero at all, but rather a boaster who probably made up legends about himself after the fact.  Nevertheless, a good account of the man and the discovery of Troy, as well as an encouragement toward critical thinking.

Are you going to Crete as well?  You might have him trace connections between the Minotaur myth and the Knossos excavation - eg the labyrinthine palace floor plan, the objects that look like bull horns, the frescoes that depict bull jumping.

I know there are sites in the UK that allow the general public to assist in excavations.  I wonder whether any sites convenient for you will do this as well?  Not sure who to ask - one of the universities, perhaps?  

That book looks great! Thanks. 

Crete is on our possible list as of now. We plan four days at each site totalling 8 places we visit. 

I have looked into it before and Turkey doesn't have options for assisting digs unless you are in university. I have to look at what Greece has. 

19 hours ago, WTM said:

How about studying:

Archaeology

Greek architecture - science, engineering, history, impact on western culture

We have a lot of books that cover these things. I was thinking of having him do some art projects drawing the architecture we see. And maybe making a model.