Menu

Apologia Zoology question

dawnofmotherhood

I am planning on starting Zoology 2 (swimming creatures) in Jan - but we haven't done Zoology 1. Is there something in the first book that would be needed to know from the first book before moving on to the second? Is there a foundation of classification/nomenclature started in the first book that would be useful in understanding the material in the second?

Thanks!

Yes, they recommend that you go through the first chapter of Zoology I to learn the classification. Other than that, the books can be done in any order you wish.

Here is a bit on this from the FAQ:

Does it really matter in which order we do the elementary courses?

For each elementary subject, you may choose your topic of interest (Astronomy, Botany, or Zoology) and do them in any order you wish. We recommend doing Zoology, which has 3 books, in order because there are terms defined in Book 1 that are used in Book 2, and terms defined in Book 2 that are used in Book 3. However, if a parent has a general knowledge of life science and you do the Zoology books out of order, the parent can just explain those terms as they are encountered.

Edited by plain jane

We did Zoology 1 last year. If you want to actually sit down and map out all the classifications, which we did not do, then you might want to start with book 1. That is the only difference. I would start any of the books. There is no reason they can't learn the classifications after learning about the animals. Jen