Menu

History - Masterbooks

BoyMom5

8 minutes ago, BoyMom5 said:

Has anyone used Masterbooks “The World’s Story” for middle school? What are your thoughts? Would also love feedback on their America’s Story series.

No.

We looked at America's Story.  The chapter titles were cringy and inaccurate, and I knew if I brought that into the house the actual stories would be much worse for my kid who has no patience for that sort of thing.  He wanted to do history, not be fed providential perspective.

For middle school world history we ended up with a handful of main resources:

• Human Odyssey (K12)
  • The Story of Science (Hakim)
  • Outrageous Women in..... (Leon)
  • MarionBrady.com - System Based Learning
  • ReadingLikeAHistorian

• Like 1

We tried The World's Story Volume 1 a couple years ago when I had a 7th grader. It was okay, but we ended up dropping it after a few months. I liked how each chapter was set up, I liked the colour pictures and maps, the suggested reading from the Bible, and that it was easy to use. On the other hand, the writing style was kind of emotional and fluffy (not our style), and the questions that went with the maps were kind of abstract (like, "Why do you think...?"). But the biggest reason I dropped it was because the author took some liberties with Scripture and extrapolated the stories in ways that wasn't true to the text, and projected modern-day issues onto the characters. That was an issue for me.

Edited by hollyhock2

19 hours ago, BoyMom5 said:

Has anyone used Masterbooks “The World’s Story” for middle school? What are your thoughts? Would also love feedback on their America’s Story series.

This spills over from the other thread on MB.  I looked at it as an alternative to SOTW.  I love, love the colorful pictures in the samples!  I wish SOTW had that.  What I do not love is reading there are inaccuracies with church history.  I do not know enough about church history to detect bad information, so for now, I have decided not to use it.