Menu

A child's history of the Hebrew people: From nomadic times to the destruction of the

dorothy

I have my dad's copy of A Child's History of the Hebrew People (copyright 1940) and used to have his copy of Child's History of Jewish Life as well, but lost that one over the years. I bought it off Amazon this year, and DS is reading through it, and answering the questions at the back.

There is also a third book which goes up to "modern" times, after WW2. I forget the exact title, but it's also easily found used on Amazon. I plan on getting it when we finish the second book.

I loved these as a kid and love them still. They are written in an entirely narrative style, with occasional jumps to current-day school kids who are studying Jewish history. The language is sometimes a bit dated but not terribly so. They were written to be used in Jewish schools.

I'm Jewish and appreciate that these are purely Jewish history. No mention of Jesus, no telling about his time in Rome, not much about Christianity at all, until the middle ages book, when it's impossible to write about Jewish history without describing the endless persecution by the church during this time.

The first book refers to bible stories, but it is NOT a bible story book. It deals mostly with daily life of the Hebrew people.

You can get all three of the books used on Amazon. The author is Dorothy Zeligs.

Michelle T

Can you estimate the reading level of these?

I have a 12yo who reads at grade level and I would like something for him. A little below his level is okay, too.

Thanks. Ruth

The books actually give the age ranges they were geared for. A Child's History of the Hebrew People, which covers nomadic times to the destruction of the second temple, was written with 9 to 10 year olds in mind.

Child's History of Jewish Life, which covers the first sixteen centuries of the common era, is written for 11 to 13 year olds.

I don't have the third book, which covers more modern times, but I'm assuming it will be for 13-15 year olds.

My DS is 12 and having no problems with either of the books. I don't think they are his favorites, but he doesn't complain too much.

Michelle T