Menu

1st grade Language Arts

Hi, I really can't decide what to use for 1st grade Language Arts (Year 2 here in the UK).

For reading I have 3 vintage anthologies she'll be reading from. Sorted. (For school - obviously lots of other books she can read!)

But grammar I'm struggling with. I have purchased 3 things and I love them all, I'd love to pick your minds on them and hear your thoughts, 

I have on old non-cosumable UK textbook which covers a bit of everything, including phonics (although this will just be review - she's almost done with it). I'm definitely using it because I want to make sure there is a UK book in the mix for English/LA. It will go alongside either book below nicely.

Then I have also bought primary language lessons by Emma Serl and FLL (the version where 1&2 are in one volume). They were  both only a few pounds secondhand, I figured I'd get them both to see which one I'd like best. Now issue is I really like both of these and I have no idea which to use. 3 books will probably be an overkill.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on PLL vs FLL. 

I would just use the UK book and assess if she actually needs more grammar than that. I would also spend some time thinking about what you think constitutes first grade grammar and how much time you think is appropriate to devote to it. I find it is very helpful and important to plan in that direction - deciding ahead of time how many minutes/hours a day/week I want a student to spend on a subject, and only then deciding what (and how many) resources to use.  

• Like 1