Menu

My Father's World High School

MidwestMama2008

Welcome along.  My oldest and middle used MFW back in the day. Both have graduated college now. And my youngest was special ed track so she didn't use MFW.

I'm not really sure what kind of feedback or questions you'd like to have.  Or which year/grade you're looking at.

It's been a while since I was in the details of day to day using it. But with a looking back point of view, homeschooling works. I found the materials easy to implement and I liked that my children were able to "follow the syllabus".

I'd expect to set up "office hours" each day to work with them after they had finished their part.  The lesson planner suggests a once a week longer meeting for parents to go over stuff and have time with student.  But it worked a lot better for me to do smaller amounts each day with them. 

The price these days seems high to me. but I guess everything is more expensive and it does cover lesson plans and books for more than one subject.  

I liked the all in one approach.  I guess it's like the Home Depot with a twist: less shopping more doing.    I liked most of their selections - but not all.  I chose not to change it up though and just went with it. 

Plenty of school work but still enough time to have a life.  Oldest is super genius academic person (she graduated college with 3 STEM degrees in 4 years) so mfw didn't hold her back. She could do a full day's worth of high school in short amount of time.  And then she was over involved in other stuff.  Middle is "slow to average" academics (she has some learning disabilities) and it was good for her.  Went a non traditional approach to getting a bachelors and did fine.   She's take the full 6 hours of school a day to get through 6-7 subjects.  (that includes math, science, etc)  the mfw part wasn't 6 hours.   Long ago a friend of mine was first year to homeschooling.  pulled his son from public school in middle of 10th grade when dad had a job change and they found mfw easy to start as newbies. but the son was good academics too. another engineering person.  LOL

Again, I'm not sure what kind of feedback you'd like.  And if there's not a lot of chatter on this subforum, maybe some of the older posts some of us wrote back in the are over on the high school subforum too.  Search engine over here isn't always perfect.

edit to add: I know nothing about this new mfw high school partnership with  " Unbound mentorship" with the group formerly called College Plus.   I personally would avoid that option based on the little I know about college plus/lumerit/unbound, or whatever it called these days.  One does not have to use that service to use mfw high school. moving on.  hope the OP finds the right materials for her family's needs.  mileage will vary. others like what I don't.  i like what I like. yep. ok.

Edited by cbollin