Menu

Additional resources for asia/africa in early modern period

emgoshi

Hi all,

We live overseas and don't have access to an English library to browse for books, so we normally rely on the book lists provided in WTM, SOTW, and TOG (buying used and shipping).  

We have started the Early Modern period this year (7th grader, voracious reader) but we seem to be light on resources dealing with Asia and Africa (we usually try to compare 5 major world areas).  Most of the resources listed, understandably, focus on American history.

Any ideas for where to look or what's been helpful for you?  I am open to hearing also about the Modern period- I anticipate we might have the same challenges next year.  Thanks!

I'll add the Build Your Library lists to that as well. They have a number of good books for Africa and Asia in the geography years that would cover early modern in those places.

Someone remind me when early modern starts according to the SOTW types? Like... the 1700's? Is that right? The first book that occurs to me is The Ghost in the Tokkaido Inn, which is part of a series, is excellent. I think it just depends on what you want to emphasize or do for the period.

For historical fiction my similarly aged daughter enjoyed Saba Under the Hyena's Foot by Jane Kurtz about life in Ethiopia in the mid 19th century. 

We also read African Princess: The Amazing Lives of Africa's Royal Women, which covers royal women across the continent. It spans a few centuries and is more of an overview of each rather than an in-depth bio, but several would fall into the 'early modern' period.

Edited by JessBurs
typo