Menu

I feel the panic rising...kinda like bile!

fortheboys

Hows that for a FANTASTIC thread title. It isn't quite that bad...but well it is something. I ordered the entire Shurley english set for my first grader from our states distance academy. I called them today to see where my order was...and THEY CANCELLED IT! They cancelled it because Shurley has significantly raised their prices and the academy is no longer going to use them. SO, I am left with no direction (my contact teacher is administering testing...so I can't get her!) I don't know what to use now. DS is very bright, reading at a much higher grade level. I really feel like I need to get him going on a strong grammar/english program. The academy does use Houghton Mifflin, which I will start researching. We don't have a ton of our own money to use for curric and would much rather use the money allotted to us by the academy. They also have Wordly Wise, Sequential Spelling (which we don't need, we are working through the Fry/Dolch sight words as our spelling list...it is easy for him but I think that it is valuable), and that is really all that is available to us. They have many other english titles but they are for upper elementary grades. Any advice on what I should do? I really want to build a firm mechanical foundation, he's got the reading down. Thanks thanks thanks!

They also offer: Scott Pearson...and McGraw Hill

Edited by fortheboys

I owned Shurley 1 and thought it was too much for our 1st graders anyway, so I would not be too disappointed that it was cancelled. I've never used FLL, but it looks good. We enjoy Winston Grammar, which reminds me very much of Shurley - except for the jingles. I would invest in some grammar songs - kids really pick up on those. If you use Winston, you will need something else for punctuation and writing. Dictation and copywork would probably be fine.

I used Shurley 1 with my first grader and have to say that I look back on it with regret. While my son actually did fine with the program, it was really too much too soon and just completely unnecessary for him at that age.

I'm using FLL and WWE with my current first grader and it's just right for her.

Lisa

I used Shurley 1 with my first grader and have to say that I look back on it with regret. While my son actually did fine with the program, it was really too much too soon and just completely unnecessary for him at that age...

Lisa

:iagree: Oldest ds loved the "Sentence Fragments" story, but that's all he got out of it, hindsight being 20/20. With the other 2 children I waited till this year when my 8yo was in 3rd gr and my 6yo in 2nd gr to do Shurley 3 w/ them all. I think this is our *best* Shurley year yet and this has confirmed what Lisa has said (at least for us), too much too soon with a 1st grader.

HTH!:001_smile: