Menu

IEW - anyone use without TWSS?

Hi, anyone use IEW having only purchased student materials without TWSS? I'm really interested in trying out level B with my son but have some reservations due to the upfront cost of IEW. I'm already uncertain about whether my son will be willing to watch all the lesson videos, but I'd like to try. I also have training in teaching writing as I have an education degree and am a former teacher so am reluctant to purchase TWSS until I decide to go all in. I'm new to homeschooling and IEW is the opposite of the kind of approach I initially wanted to use with my son. But in considering my son I think he'd feel more empowered by this kind of instruction than one that is more fluid. Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm mainly worried about purchasing TWSS and finding it unnecessary (already having received training in writing instruction) while still wanting to use/try their curriculum. It would be weird to return TWSS while continuing to use the program?

Edited by sweetpotato

The IEW program is very different in both philosophy and technique from what is taught in most teacher education programs.

I have the old program, not sure how it's different from the new one, perhaps it's not as necessary now. But I can't imagine using it without going through the TWSS. I mean, we could have muddled through and I'm sure my kids would have produced some decent paragraphs and whatnot to show by the end of it. But without knowing the lomg term goals and principles we were shooting for, I don't think we would have really been getting the most out of the program. YMMV.

Thank you, sounds like I need to just purchase the full program to learn how to execute it well. I'm not sure what other education programs teach, but I received mine from Northwestern Univ and they didn't focus on any specific methodology. They were very heavy on teaching the history, progression and range of philosophic thought and pedagogy in education, so I can, in general, understand the approach and views of each program and where it's coming from.