Menu

Eye Tracking

DS, 8, has always skipped lines while reading. He has a stubborn side to him so mom telling him for the past 3 years to use a finger while reading is met with defiance. I gave up trying to force it. He has one eye that drifts slightly when tired. He has glasses. However, we live in a place that really doesn't work on things like this. OT is an option here. The Dr. said the glasses should help the eye. 

I had eye exercises that I did when I was a girl. I have seen videos for the eye eights exercise. I have started this and some of the things I had to do. 

He has started reading Harry Potter, it is just a little too hard on his own. So I am having him follow along while listening to audible. I figure this will help him track better right? 

He also reads over long words fast. I can't tell if it is his eyes, or is this something to worry about dyslexia? He doesn't do reversals or have problems reading other than 4 or 5 syllable words. And if a word starts like another word he knows he sometimes just glides over it and says the wrong word. We have an educational consultant over here to help expats and she gave a reading test last year and he was a little above level (end of 1st tested at middle 2nd). He has grown a lot with reading this year. I feel like he would be one that no one would question about dyslexia, it is just very small things that make me question. 

Any other things we can do to help him track to the next line? 

He also has many many signs of dysgraphia. We have been working on writing 8s from Diane Craft and that is helping a lot with spacing and sizing of his letters. His spelling has improved using Dictation Day by Day. Although we are still working on all of these things.