Menu

Fun Christmas Traditions

We love going to all the cool Christmas events sponsored by local churches and Christian organizations.... Journey to the Manger, Way of Lights, etc.

Today ds is super excited because it will be our first night of Advent devotions. They love to light the candles, extinguish the candles, take turns reading the devotions, looking up Scripture, etc. These will be some of their happiest Christmas memories, I think.

Another thing we like to do is make our lists... And then make our crafts to give to friends, neighbors, Sunday School teachers, etc.

We love Christmas!

I used to always string Christmas lights all over my four poster bed, so that when the boys and I read in bed together, it felt especially festive. I also just love my bed:)

We always take a Christmas day hike as a family, if weather permits. It's such a sanity saver for me, that even if weather is iffy, we go for it, and we love it!

We do the usual advent calendar/tree decorating/hot chocolate drinking rituals. We usually make a gingerbread house (from the boxed kit because I am lazy).

This year we made a list of ways that we could bless our friends and family, our pets (and theirs) the birds and strangers during the advent season. So we are starting to do some of the things on that list, and it's pretty fun.

Dana

Each year we take a trip as a family to a large specialty gift shop that is ultra decked out for Christmas and each child chooses an ornament. We spend entirely too much time there trying to choose, and our tree has absolutely no theme any more, but its so much fun to remove the bubble wrap from each ornament and remember when and why each of them chose it.

Also, each day of December we try to do one nice thing for someone else. I know this sounds silly, since we should be doing it every day of the year, and we probably do, but not really "on purpose". Like today, it snowed like crazy last night and I hate to see the elderly lady next door outside shoveling her own driveway. Dh was going to snow blow it and the kids were going to shovel it clean (the lady sweeps her driveway clean!), but her daughter beat us to it. So, we will gather up last year's jackets and boots and drop them off at a local shelter this afternoon, after I get them all washed and dried.