Menu

Literary analysis for middle-grade boy?

Sally Day

I’m looking to add some literary (and poetry) analysis into the mix for my 6th grade boy. I really like the look of Teaching the Classics, but am wary of the format. He likes to be as independent as possible and prefers written responses to discussion. Suggestions please! 

My middle schooler is making his way through Prose and Poetry by the Walch Toolbox Series (https://www.amazon.com/Walch-Toolbook-Prose-Poetry-Ser/dp/0825138027). We got it off thriftbooks so was even cheaper.

We do the exercises orally, but it seems to be able to be used fairly independent as it is a workbook style so has lines for writing answers. My son doesn't love the subject in general, but going through this takes only a few minutes as we read it and work through the practice problems.

I haven't done any lit analysis with my rising 5th grader, and I'm on the fence about starting it. I think I will choose one MP lit guide and see how it goes, probably only assigning a fraction of the written questions. I don't want to kill his love of reading and I do think it's a possibility. Sarah Mackenzie makes the claim pretty well that beyond discussions, you don't ever need to do lit analysis. But if your kid isn't into discussions, I don't think it's crazy to expect some type of written output. 

I am excited to try CAP's Art of Poetry. It's supposed to be excellent even for people who aren't into poetry. I like that, because I don't have to worry about killing his love for it, because he doesn't particularly love it. But it's supposed to be grade 7 and up. So I think I'm planning that.

My current 6th grader is a book dragon. She's constantly reading me out of house and home. I haven't done anymore than casual discussion this year, but she keeps jumping into her high school siblings' lit lessons at every opportunity. 😄 I'll do Figuratively Speaking with her next year, and read through the Foster book with her (How to Read Literature Like a Professor: for Kids). 

My other kids just read and discussed high quality literature with me and did FS in 7th and/or 8th

FS might suit your written only requirement, but I wouldn't do it with a 6th grader with no discussion unless it's something they're pretty interested in. 

You might listen to this SWB talk if you haven't.  https://welltrainedmind.com/p/what-is-literary-analysis-when-why-and-how-should-i-teach-it-mp3/