Menu

After FLL

DS is 5th grade, 10yo, and we did FLL 1-4 and loved it. FLL is a great fit for me and my kids. So I really wanted to continue Grammar for the Well Trained Mind, which we've started this year.

I read lots of reviews that said it was too hard for 5th grade (the first advertized year for the sequence), so I decided to slow it down. We do 2 lessons a week instead of 4, but we're also doing a grammar based Latin. Overkill? Maybe. But he's my oldest and my guinea pig. 😉

We're at lesson 15 and I like it so far. I can see why people would say it's too much for 5th grade, even having done FLL first. I'm glad I slowed it down. DS is doing well, but he seems to get the concepts easily regardless - good thing because I'm learning a lot of the material myself! 

Many of the reviews said week 20 is where it ramps up, so we'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

If she likes sentence diagramming, she'll love Grammar for the Well Trained Mind! It's an all encompassing grammar program with the same conversational style as FLL (we did all 4 years of that program, too). My 7th grader started it in mid 6th grade, and he's just now on lesson 92. We take it slow because most of the concepts are new to both of us. 😁