Menu

NYC peeps - New Years in NYC

linders

I know some of you live around NYC, so I have a question. Last week we decided to spend the week after Christmas in NYC. We have only ever been there in spring, so seeing the lights and windows and trees will be amazing. I got cheap flights, stumbled onto a decent rate at a hotel one long block from Times Square, and bought tickets for a couple of Broadway shows (because I'm not sure how easy it is to get the cut-rate tickets at TKTS that time of year).

So...New Year's Eve itself...NO interest in being stuck at Times Square with a million people. I read that there are fireworks (part of a fun run?) at Central Park. Is that crazy busy? We don't mind people, but we do mind shoulder-to-shoulder claustrophobia. And I'm a little worried about getting back downtown if a mob of people are doing the same. Any other fun options for 2 adults and 2 teens that night? It seems a shame to be in NYC and sit in our hotel room watching the ball drop (our usual New Year's Eve).

PS Bonus thanks for good hole-in-the-wall restaurants near 48th and 8th.