Menu

Getting started with Cambridge Latin

astralweaver

I'm having some trouble figuring out what to buy as I start my daughter with Cambridge Latin (Unit 1).

I see there is a student guide (though two editions - 4th and 5th), a student workbook (which looks like only 4th edition), and a teacher's manual (which seems to be 5th edition). I also see that out there at places like Rainbow Resource, etc., that there are cd's, activity masters, and stage tests as well, each of varying editions. I thought I'd look it up on the Cambridge site and found they also have some online thing called Elevate which seems to have stage conversations, vocabulary aids, and other enrichment activities. I've personally had a lot of Latin, and I'm not terribly worried about getting her through the first unit.

What do I need to buy and how can I make sure to get the correct editions? Thanks in advance.

I have just the student text and a workbook, both that I found used.  Honestly, I don't really care for the workbook.  We just read through the student text, and I assign the exercises to either be done on paper or orally.

We use Cambridge as a supplement to Memoria Press Latin, but I really like it and can see using it as a main course if you don't prefer the grammar translation method.  I think the main thing is to focus on keeping up with the vocabulary, as it accumulates quickly.  We made flashcards for that.

Thanks for your helpful response. I do have a spaced repetition flashcard app ready to go.

If you weren’t using the Memoria Press stuff would you use the workbook or would you advise me just to skip it? 

Memoria Press is too workbook oriented for me and I’m not a fan of too many moving parts. I’m thinking of Cambridge as our main program and Getting Started with Latin for grammar on the side. I want to focus on reading and just get her comfy enough in middle school to move on to Lingua Latina in high school.