Menu

Math Placement for BJU

Janeway

I wanted to switch to BJU. I like what I was using just fine and feel it is a quality program, I just want to do something different. We have been using Singapore Math. Since son is 4th grade age for this fall, I bought the 4th grade book for fall. But when looking over it, I have found he actually has already covered most of what is in it. I thought I would give him a quiz, to see what he already knows or remembers. But when I attempted this, he wanted to know why he was doing school work during the summer. I told him it was just a quiz to see what he remembers and home school does not stop during the summer.  He did not do any of the problems completely correct. I gave him 5 divided in to 681 and he did complete it correctly but I did have to remind him what to do in the middle. It was a small hint. He clearly just needed a reminder. Then I gave him 0.57 times 4 and he solved it but never put in the decimal place. 

Are these normal errors one would expect to see going in to 5th grade anyway so move on to the 5th grade book? I can see from looking at the topics that we pretty much covered everything in the 4th grade book in the past. Or should I figure we should just do the 4th grade year? Or, alternatively, just say it is a really bad idea to switch and stick it out with Singapore Math (US edition).