Menu

Secular History Curriculum for 7th/8th grade co-op class?

If I had the opportunity to teach this year in our co-op setting I'd like a curriculum for SECULAR history where: 

student books are not too expensive

plenty of assignable homework in the form of whatever - sheets, workbooks, some projects etc.  

Somewhat Literature - Based 

Right now I am searching for the right curriculum more than the right time period, although that may have to be narrowed down eventually.  

SOTW is out of the question because it is really a targeted Middle School age group- advanced, academic 6th graders, and 7th and 8th graders.

I'm thinking of doing a few volumes of SOTW with the students each owning their own student guide, me having a teacher guide and assigning some work for them to do on their own and me doing some of the work with them and some read aloud time, and some in class fun projects, etc. 

Edited by Calming Tea

Maybe History Odyssey from Pandia Press?

I was originally thinking K12's Human Odyssey series would be a good, inexpensive spine since you can easily get those for $5 used. However, it definitely would have to have literature added. Not difficult if you have SOTW guides and just pull from those lists. It wouldn't have assignments though.

• Like 1

I was thinking about All American History by Bright Ideas Press but I'm not sure whether it would pass the secular test. I haven't found the material religious aside from a few notes in the teacher's manual. I think I read on Cathy Duffy's review's page for it that religious content is pretty much limited to some optional further investigation questions at the end of the chapters. It definitely has plenty of assignments and there is a suggested literature list. However, the curriculum is not based around those books. They do have some Illuminations literature guides that go along with some of the books, but I have no idea what they are like. I can't find any samples.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Core Knowledge's website for free downloads? They have history material for grades 6-8.  If the kids have Kindles or iPads, then they can get the student readers for free, too. It's completely secular. They also have literature guides for novels that could accompany the history reading.  The guides are free to download. The book are about $10 each.

https://www.coreknowledge.org/curriculum/download-curriculum/