Menu

Bob Jones Earth & Space Science with DVDs. Anyone use this?

Hoggirl

I am thinking about using this next year. The BJU page says the DVDs are 30 minutes each. Does the child watch the DVD and then read from the textbook? Or vice versa? What is the total amount of time you spend on science each day if you use this? Do you do experiments or do you just "watch" them? Or are they even available for watching on the DVDs?

We have these classes on DVD (taped them over the summer off the satellite) but we have not actually used them yet. I can tell you what I do know.

Yes, the class is 30 minutes. I would estimate that science will take about 1 hour a day. From what I remember, they do show the experiments during class time, so I don't THINK your child will have to do every experiment themselves. I recall the classes appeared very interesting, and I have been told that it is also one of BJU's hardest. Non-science kids will often wait until 9th grade to complete it. Doing Space & Earth in 9th, Physical in 10th, Biology in 11th, Chemistry in 12th.

At this point and time, that is all I know. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I guess the $$$$ price tag means there aren't a whole lot of users with the DVD program. I noticed in their catalog that there is a SEPARATE investigations DVD which is $99, and I am assuming THAT is what has the experiments on it. At least you get to keep it! But, both of those together plus an extra workbook (I do NOT like the idea of the workbook pages being in the back of the text) puts the price tag close to $520 NOT including experiment gear. I guess one might EITHER get the investigations DVD OR do he experiments, but maybe not both.

Thanks for your insights.

Edited by Hoggirl
typo!

Cynthia,

I agree, the individual DVD courses are expensive [and yes, many DO use them]. I guess if you look at the overall price of what you're getting though, it's really not super outrageous. If ordering the DVD set you would NOT need the Investigations DVD or the Visual Packet, those are for people who are teaching BJU without the class DVDs. The separate Student Activity Manual is, of course, optional. So, if you take out the price of the books you will be getting off of the $399, you are paying $285 for a DVD teacher-led year long excellent science program. I'll put this in perspective a bit...

Last year I signed my then higher schooler up for a Write@Home writing class. We only did a semester and it was $229. A year long course is $419! You do not get even HALF of what BJU gives you for your year long $399 science course. Write@Home has no books to offer you, just a paper download once a week that basically costs them nothing; you have to print it out. No actual teacher intervention/teaching...just a teacher going over your child's writing and commenting on it, etc. Not any of the meat or visual appeal that BJU provides. Write@Home was good, please don't misunderstand....but it's really rather expensive for what you actually get!! I may use the program again for my youngest, but in doing so I know that what I am paying for is my son being accountable to someone else for his writing...not me. And having someone comment on his work who knows what good writing sounds like. But, all in all, I think you really get more for your buck with BJU.

It truly boils down to how much you have to spend though. I know that BJU's individual DVD sets are priced out of many's reach...but, having used their science classes, I personally think they are worth the investment if the funds are available. If I did not already have all the BJU sciences recorded from our satellite, I would probably pay for them each year. I really think they are that good...plus science is NOT something I enjoy teaching. ;)

Edited by Melissa in CA

I am glad to know I do not ALSO need the separate investigations DVD! I am not sure how I would have realized this without you!

I hear you on the value issue. We use Chalkdust for math, and I love, love, love it! Is it pricey? Well, I guess compared to other programs it is, but it is SO worth it in my opinion. And, the thing is, I am pretty "good" at math (at least I don't have a fear of it), yet I like the support. However, I am stinky at science, so my thought process is a bit illogical here!

If we can swing it, I think we will give this a "go" next year!

Thanks, again!

My daughter's almost finished with Science 6. I'd love to have her go straight on to Life Science (seventh-grade science), but I'd prefer to wait until BJU has recorded an updated version that matches its updated textbook. So she'll do Space and Earth Science instead. We'll be ordering the DVDs soon. I'm looking forward to it -- Mrs. Vick's a fabulous teacher!!