Menu

Online Biology for 7th Grade Kid?

TheAttachedMama

I am considering outsourcing science for the first time next year because I am just not doing it justice on my own.    Are there any online options that people would recommend for 7th grade?    Or, if not an online program, a decent "easy to teach" biology program to use at home?

Background:   My son is definitely STEM-oriented and will probably go into some type of science field when he gets older.   (Right now, he has aspirations to become a wildlife biologist.)   He is pretty decent in math.   He is currently using AOPS Pre-Algebra for 6th grade and will start AOPS Algebra in 7th.   He has taken 3+ years of middle school level physical science/chemistry/physics.   So he is ready for biology & life science.    My son is a bright kid and loves the subject.   However, he tends to be a slow worker who needs a lot of help planning ahead.   (I am working with him in that area and willing to help.) 

We are trying to work through RSO Biology 2 on our own this year, but I don't feel like I am doing a great job.    The reading component in that program is not that great, and we are having problems keeping up with so many projects and labs.    I also feel like there is little retention.   

Wish List:   We are Christians, but I would love to find a program that teaches evolution.   I dislike science programs where "exposure to much and mastery of little" is the goal.   I strive for multum non multa in all of our other subjects (history, Latin, math, etc.) , but I just haven't been able to pull that off when it comes to science.   

Uzinggo is an online program that worked well for my DD at that age. She did all four of their high school science modules (and all three middle school ones). It has digital labs/simulations, but it’s easy to add more If you want it. It’s a program sold to schools, so does explicitly teach evolution. The company was friendly about DD starting with middle school and moving to high school on the same year subscription. (In 20/20 hindsight, she could have easily started with high school). Like your DS, she’s a STEM focused kid (particularly biology), and this was one of the only science resources I found that actually kept up with her and gave her the foundational skills she needed fo move on to the college and grad level work she truly craved. 

Edited by dmmetler

37 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

If you want a textbook, the Holt homeschool bundle is more traditional, and includes a lot of supports, making it fairly easy to teach. 

Yes, Holt is one of the resources I am considering.    I heard a rumor that Memoria Press is going to release a student guide book and some tests and quizzes, but they will not be out until *VERY* close to fall.   (It is originally scheduled in their 10th grade high school package.)   My son typically does well with MP products because they do a good job of teaching him how to study.   (they help him pull out the most important information and present it in a non-cluttered way.)    They already have a streaming video component.   It looks sort of dry though.   

Thank you also for mentioning Uzinggo.   I looked at this before, and for some reason ruled it out.  (I have no idea why....I really should keep better notes!  haha)   Perhaps I could even use this just to salvage science this year.